Karla Huebner

Forums via email?

I am finally taking a look at these forums since the TMG-L server is down (and I have lots of work to avoid). I've read the Help info, but am still not clear whether there is any way to simply get forum posts as normal e-mails and avoid having to go to the web site all the time. I grasp that one can request to get an e-mail saying there's something new on a topic, but that seems counterproductive. I use dialup and Eudora, and I like to be able to rapidly download messages and read them/reply when I have time (which may be when I have no internet access). The less fancy stuff, the better, since I spend way too much time online as it is.

Am I right in surmising that I can't just have forum messages arrive as e-mails?

Karla

Am I right in surmising that I can't just have forum messages arrive as e-mails?

The forum can't be used as a mail list.

The point of getting an email from a topic that you create or another is to have notification of additions to the conversation.

You can also enable a 'subscription' that gives you an email notification of any new topic posted to forums of your choice.

Read the Help topic: Email Notification of new messages

Hi Jim,

I had already read about Email Notification of new messages. I just wanted to be clear that that was the only kind of email the forums generate. Oh well.

Now that I've read more of the forum messages, I can see how certain types of messages are better suited to forums than e-mail lists (such as how-to instructions and member URLs), but I'm not wild about anything that requires I have to be online to read and compose messages.

Thanks,

Karla

The forum can't be used as a mail list.

The point of getting an email from a topic that you create or another is to have notification of additions to the conversation.

You can also enable a 'subscription' that gives you an email notification of any new topic posted to forums of your choice.

Read the Help topic: Email Notification of new messages

It's nice to have the threads tied together and there are several view options.

I had the same initial reservations as you but have come to appreciate the forums.

Hi Jim,

.....but I'm not wild about anything that requires I have to be online to read and compose messages.

Thanks,

Karla

Hi Karla,

Likewise. I overcome this to some extent by staying logged in to the Forum, and if I want to digest what I've just read I leave the page open on my browser, log out of my internet conneciton, often with the Reply window already open.

I can then read the messages, and type in the reply, ready to be sent when I next log in.

Hi Karla,

Likewise.  I overcome this to some extent by staying logged in to the Forum, and if I want to digest what I've just read I leave the page open on my browser, log out of my internet conneciton, often with the Reply window already open.

I can then read the messages, and type in the reply, ready to be sent when I next log in.

Hi Lorna,

I've found that the situation was worst when I first joined and wanted to read loads of posts. Now that I've read most of the old stuff that interested me, I only look in occasionally.

Karla