TMGnewbie

Images not appearing in Acestral box chart

I have Family Tree SuperTools v2 which I understand is similar to Visual Charform.

Long ago I imported a file from Legacy including images. When I click on the "Images" tab the images appear in SuperTools V2. But they do not appear in the ancestral box chart ST creates even though I have that option selected in the report Images tab "on left".

What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

I have Family Tree SuperTools v2 which I understand is similar to Visual Charform.

Long ago I imported a file from Legacy including images. When I click on the "Images" tab the images appear in SuperTools V2. But they do not appear in the ancestral box chart ST creates even though I have that option selected in the report Images tab "on left".

What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Could it have to do with that I am now working in Windows 7 64 bit? Previously I had used SuperTools in Windows XP.

Family Tree Supertools is a subset of TMG v7.0. Both use Visual ChartForm for charts.

Use the External Exhibits feature of Validate File Integrity to make sure that the image links in the exhibits data table are correct.

File / Maintenance / Validate File Integrity

Family Tree Supertools is a subset of TMG v7.0. Both use Visual ChartForm for charts.

Use the External Exhibits feature of Validate File Integrity to make sure that the image links in the exhibits data table are correct.

File / Maintenance / Validate File Integrity

I can't find a validate file integrity tool. Where is it?

The images do appear in the main screen. They just do not appear in the chart even though I selected them to appear on left. (Tried on right too).

Validate File Integrity is under Maintenance on the File menu - but it is dimmed in FTST in my installation, perhaps only available in TMG. Have you tried the Sample Project to see if the images appear in a chart there? I have FTST in Win7 64-bit and do not have a problem with the internal images in the Sample Project. Are your images external or internal?

Virginia

Validate File Integrity is under Maintenance on the File menu - but it is dimmed in FTST in my installation, perhaps only available in TMG. Have you tried the Sample Project to see if the images appear in a chart there? I have FTST in Win7 64-bit and do not have a problem with the internal images in the Sample Project. Are your images external or internal?

Virginia

Thanks Virginia.

I tried the sample project and an image appears in one or two boxes.

So I think my file was corrupted and I therefore imported a new project from Legacy. FTST imported it with no errors and I told it to also create thumb... of all images. This time the report did include the images. Thank goodness!

What is the best way to make a chart fit on one page? This is for a grandson's school project.

At the top of the first page in the VCF forum is a pinned message 'One-page charts" that includes a section labeled 'Tutorials, palette, etc.' You might start with the instructions in the message below and then adapt the settings to your requirements:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=41386

You will find recommended settings in many of the one-page chart messages. In most cases, left-to-right and right-to-left orientations are more efficient space-wise than top-to-bottom and bottom-to-top for one-page charts.

Also, check the option setting at the bottom of the main VCF page to make sure you are seeing all the messages in the forum. The screenshot below shows what this option looks like. It should be set to 'Show All' to see older messages.

ViewAllMessages.png

Let us know if you have any more questions. I'm glad you were able to resolve the image problem -

Virginia

...(snip)...

What is the best way to make a chart fit on one page? This is for a grandson's school project.

Virginia's advice is all good. But, there is no magic bullet for making a chart fit on one page. It is highly dependant on your requirements and your data:

1. What type of chart is desired (for a school project, I assume an ancestor chart)

2. How many desired generations on the chart

3. What level of detail is desired on birth, death and marriage data (lifespan or full dates and place names, etc.).

4. Population density on the chart (for example, a 5 gen. ancestor chart has 31 possible people on it. How many of those 31 people are in your database?)

5. How many people on your chart have images to be included?

6. TMG definitions of font sizes, max.image size, box size, inter-box spacing.

7. Are you willing to learn and perfom simple hand editing on your chart with VCF.

Give us more details on the chart needed for your grandson. Maybe all of us on this forum can give you better advice.

Best wishes and good luck,