jarenson

GEDCOM Funeral tag export

I just realized tonight that TMG7's GEDCOM 5.5 does not export Funeral Tag information even when I select all tags to export.

Can anyone else confirm this and offer a work around? Or did I miss something?

Thanks

The following are the normal conditions for exporting any custom tag type. Funeral is such a case.

1) In the Tag Type properties, the GEDCOM export selection should be 1 EVEN 2 TYPE.

Master Tag Type List / Select the Funeral tag type / [Edit] / Other tab

2) The tags should have one principal or two principals who are married or are the parents of one or more children. I would assume that normally, Funeral tags would have one principal.

If you had added two principals and they meet the above conditions, then the data will be in the family record in the GEDCOM.

If you had added two principals who do not meet the above conditions, then the tag will not be exported.

What Jim did not mention is that these limitations on the GEDCOM export are based on the specifications and limitations of GEDCOM. There are only a limited number of defined GEDCOM tag types, all others must use the general purpose 1 EVEN 2 TYPE structure. And the restriction on two principals on an event, that they must be married and/or parents, is also part of the very old and very limited GEDCOM specifications. If those conditions are not met, then GEDCOM simply provides no mechanism to express the situation, so TMG has no choice but to not export the tag. These are only a few of the things that you can record and express in TMG but cannot be expressed in any defined GEDCOM structure.

Thank you for the quick replies.

I changed the tag definition to the general type as you suggested and everything was then exported correctly. The other program is flexible enough to understand the event/structure to properly import.