bistiart

TMG 4.0d to TMG7.04 on Vista

I have 3600 entries in an old TMG file. Using Windows XP, with entries in a database in TMGW folder, TMG brings up the file, tells me of those entries, then asks me to install the 4.0d patch. The file will ultimately go to TMG 7.04 on a Vista Machine to one of my descendants.

Here are my questions:

• Where do I get the 4.0d patch?
  • Will 7.04 read these entries with no further problem on the Vista Machine?

TIA

Jim,

If I could clarify; I have 4.0 (which won’t read TMG files w 3600 entries; but tells me to get 4.0d patch). You suggest going straight to 7.04. – Correct?

With 7.04 installed, you say “import TMG 4.0d database”.

I installed 4.0 recently after several years of inactivity.

Does the 3600 database which requests 4.0d imply I actually did upgrade 4.0 to 4.0d historically?

If that’s the case, then I can see the logic in your 7.04 install and subsequent import of what appears to be an intact yet ancient TMG database…

If not, what else am I missing?

BTW – this is my first foray into the TMG forums. Your quick response is quite heartening!

Joe

I don't know that v7.04 will import a v4.0 database. It will import a v4.0d database. I think there are some issues importing a database older than v4.0d and updating to v4.0d and importing the updated database will avoid those.

You can also send the old database to Support and they will update it as necessary and import to v7.04 and send you the v7.04 project backup.

If I could clarify; I have 4.0 (which won’t read TMG files w 3600 entries; but tells me to get 4.0d patch). You suggest going straight to 7.04. – Correct?
Yes, I believe that is correct, but only because it sounds like the database itself is already 4.0d. Jim gave you the pointer to the 4.0d patch. If you want to open the database with a version 4 program, I think you need to patch the Version 4.0 that you recently re-installed.

Does the 3600 database which requests 4.0d imply I actually did upgrade 4.0 to 4.0d historically?
Yes, I think it does. It sounds like the database is 4.0d but the re-installed program is only 4.0. So if you patch the program, you should be able to open the database with the 4.0d program. Then you could do any cleanup you wanted, and do a backup.

But Version 7.04 will Import either the raw 4.0d database file (with a file extension of ".TMG") or a 4.0d backup (with a file extension of ".SQZ"). So if the database is already 4.0d, then you don't need to bother with patching, just do the Import.

Hope this helps,

Jim and Michael,

After some consideration and help from Betty Albright (member 58), I’ve determined that:

1. the present database is 4.0d

2. there is no free 4.0d patch

3. 7.04, which must be purchased, will read that 4.0d profile.

Thanks Guys – problem solved!

Michael, I live across the river from you. Betty was quite active in Abq before she moved to Friscoe…

Glad we could point you in the right direction. And don't forget you can try things during TMG's free 30-day trial period just to be sure you will be able to make things work.