Sular

View Citation Sentence

(Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere...if it has, would you kindly point me to the thread.)

Is there a way to view how my citation will appear in an endnote without running a report? For example, when I add a tag, I can view the how the sentence will appear by clicking on the "Sentence" box in the tag. If I add a citation, there is no sentence box to view how my citation will read in my endnotes.

Thank you.

There is no preview of the entire citation other than by running a report. There is a Preview Report with Citations on the Reports toolbar, which includes the citations embedded in the text of a narrative report.

You can preview the citation, excluding the citation detail, with the preview buttons on the Output Forms tab of the Source Definition screen. You can access that from the Citation Screen by clicking the binoculars (search) button next to the source number, then clicking the Edit button when the Master Source List appears.

Thanks for answering Terry. I guess I should have explained that I "lump" several of my sources, so I was hoping to be able to preview those at the tag level. Looks like this isn't an option in the "lumping" mode.

Sorry, Sular, but it isn't an option for either lump or split. The Output Form tag on the Source Definition does not show either the CD or the CM even if the source is only used once. I also lump, and regularly run a test Individual Narrative report with the Subject being only the Current Focus Person and with options to output sources. It allows a quick way to view the citations for this person as I am doing editing.

Michael,

But at least with spltting it's easier to see the sentance when you cite (even without the CD or CMs in it).

I'm struggling with the big question of whether to have individual sources (except for my census; I use the Betty Frain system for them) or to continue lumping.

My main stumbiling block is remembering what needs to go into each CD when I lump. I need to make my own cheat sheet of my lumped source sentences so I know exactly what I need to put in the CD areas.

I will more than likely continue to lump sources such as birth certificates, death certificates, WWI & II registrations, SSDI, newspaper obits, etc and have single sources for other items.

I wish all my decisions in life were this mundane. Ha!

I agree that some form of a "cheat sheet" is essential to ensuring consistency of data entry, not only for citations but tags, etc. as well. And I not only document my decisions but also include the reason I made that decision.

Also don't overlook TMG's Reminder facility. If you put the Reminder in the Source Type, you will see it for every Source created as that Type, unless you add a different local Reminder to that one Source. I always keep a NotePad open, and copy/paste stuff into it, like a Reminder, that pertains to what I am editing at the moment.