I am one of the older users and my memory is going. I am trying to prepare a narrative type report of the descendants of one person in my data base. I can't seem to get there. As I recall a "Journal" report used to work but I can't seem to do it now. The help pages in TMG gloss over some steps. Does some one have a 123 type of method? I can prepare a focus group of those I want to include but that is as far as I can go. I would appreciate help. Don Harrington

Don,

You do not need to create a Focus Group, in fact that will not help. When you create a descendant's report, you specify only the starting person, and the number of generations, and the report takes care of everything else.

I suggest a Journal report, as follows:

1. Start by navigating to the person whose descendants you want to report.

2. Open the Journal Report definition from the Reports menu.

3. Select "One Person" near the top of the screen, and if it's not already checked, check the "Use the Current Focus Person" box.

4. Click Options at the bottom, and on the left side of the General tab, about half way down, select Descendants.

5. On the same tab, set the number of generations you want to include (or just set a large number if you want all of them). Click OK to return to the Report Definition screen.

6. Select the "Report Destination" you want - I'd suggest Screen Preview so you can preview what you will get.

7. Click the Create Report button to create the report.

After you see the results, you may want to go back to Options and see if other settings are more to your liking, and try again.

SampleReports.png

Don -

It may be helpful to review the examples of Journal reports on the website here (or you can go directly to the web site from TMG with the 'Sample Reports web site' option on the Reports dropdown menu just below BookManager).

The description of the report in the third column for each type of report will give you some clues for the options you will want to select.

Virginia

And Don,

Don't be concerned about being an "older" user. Keep the questions coming. I certainly qualify as "older", and I am willing to bet a cup of coffee that our good friend Virginia is older than you are. :D

And Don,

Don't be concerned about being an "older" user. Keep the questions coming. I certainly qualify as "older", and I am willing to bet a cup of coffee that our good friend Virginia is older than you are. :D

:lol: That's a pretty safe bet, Michael.

Virginia