Peter Tarkkonen

Report generator

After upgrading to TMG8 successfully, started to search reporting.

In some presales material there was a note about new generation report generator.

Do I remember right and if I remember right, where can I find this new tool?

Peter

Peter -

When you click on Report on the top menu in v8 and select a report, you are using the new generation report generator. The list of reports is similar to v7 but you will find enhanced options - including the use of color - and new report formats.

Virginia

Peter -

They may look the same, but there are dozens of changes and enhancements in v8 reports - see the list here. If you use the Family Group Sheet or Individual Detail report, for example, you can now color coordinate them with VCF charts (screenshots on VCF forum) - just as you can with pedigree and narrative reports using backcolor or font colors.

Virginia

Peter,

The new report generator is new - that is, it was entirely re-written. To many, the key issue is it's now compatible with 64-bit Windows. But in fact there is much more there, though it is not obvious at a casual look. It was designed to create the same types of reports as before, but offers many useful new features.

Most obvious are the changes to the output to screen and printer. They now include footnote or endnotes, and bibliographies. There is no longer a need for separate endnote and bibliography reports. Multiple copies of the same report can now be kept open and the report "remembers' its window size when you open a new one instead of opening full screen, both of which I find very handy. You can now copy and paste text from the screen report, for example to put in an email.

Tabular reports are now created in tables for better layout, and colors can be used in output, along with other improvements like those Virginia mentions.

Thank You Virginia & Terry,

Will have a look. So far been using Journal, Family Group sheet and Pedigree only.

And ofcause SecondSite

Interesting to see if more value could be generated to site visitors. Especially tables sound interesting.

Peter