Sign in to follow this  
mikeclark1

Remove tag sentence

The support and tutorial materials offer much advice on editing tag sentences, but I wonder if it is possible to designate one tag (perhaps Indiv Note) that prints and exports without any preliminary sentence - just showing the content matter from the tag box? The editor seems to insist on adding a phrase of some sort.

I thiink that the "Note" and "Anecdote" tags both use only the memo ( [M] ) for their output. I suppose one could suppress even that, for example if one wanted to show information on the screen but not in reports.

Will this give you what you need?

Robert

Mike,

I think by "tag box" you mean the Memo field in a Tag. So you need a way to output just the Memo field.

Sentences are required to output anything in any narrative style report, such as a Journal. But the Sentence can specify that any set of the fields in the Tag be output, with or without any additional text. In order to specify just the contents of the Memo field, use only the variable [M] in the Sentence, as Robert suggests.

Other types of reports, such as box charts, family group sheets, etc., do no use Sentences at all. The fields they output are controlled by the options in the Report Definition.

In order to better understand the role of Sentences, you might want to look at my article "Modifying Tag Sentence Structures."

Very many thanks for these two most helpful responses. Having tried both Note and Anecdote tags it seems that the latter does exactly what I want in exporting to Second Site and the Web just the content of the tag Memo box with no introductory text - and the sort date allows this content to be positioned at the right point in the narrative. Perfect! I'm most grateful for the help.