baker13

Fatal Error C0000005

Help! I'm on vacation and the program just crashed. It ran fine 2 days ago, and today when I opened it, I got the following error:

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2012.10.02 08:17:46 PM. Error log file: C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogist v8VFP9Rerr.log

Called from - menuobjtmg.mmessagemanager line 11 {c:program filescommonlibsmenuobj.vct c:program filescommonlibsmenuobj.vct}

Called from - appobject.show line 521 {c:program filescommonlibsappobj.vct c:program filescommonlibsappobj.vct}

Called from - tmgappobj.show line 4 {c:program filesthe master genealogist v8libsappobjtmg.vct c:program filesthe master genealogist v8libsappobjtmg.vct}

Called from - tmgmain line 578 {C:Program FilesThe Master Genealogist v8tmgprogramstmgmain.prg c:program filesthe master genealogist v8tmg8.exe}

I have uninstalled and reinstalled TMG8. I have rolled back my system restore.

Thanks,

Debbie

Edited by baker13

Debbie -

The first line mentions the message manager. Try going into Preferences / Startup and Exit and set Check the message manager to check for 0 days. Messages are uncommon so you are not likely to miss anything.

While you are in Preferences, check the option to always start TMG with the Welcome Window if you are not already doing so. That seems to help avoid small glitches on startup.

Are you using the latest version 8.04? It includes a number of important bug fixes. You can use Help / Check for an Update or download the full 8.04 from the WG site if you want to reinstall.

Let us know if you still get the error. It should not be necessary to uninstall/reinstall.

Virginia

Virginia,

Thanks for the quick reply. The program shuts down as soon as the error appears, so I can't check Preferences. I'm not using 8.04 because I lose the ability to edit my reports in the view window (such as re-spacing and additional re-sorting).

Debbie

Virginia,

All of a sudden, TMG8 started working again. I have no idea what, if anything, I did. Now, I get a Conversion Error #5 when trying to print a list of events. I tried resetting it, but the error still comes up.

Debbie

Debbie -

Are you still running v8 on WinXP under Parallels?

I'm not sure that the ability for limited editing in the View window (a bug since fixed) is worth the problems you may run into in the long run when not staying current with updates and bug fixes.

You can permanently set the message manager in Preferences to 0 days, not just when the error occurs.

What is the report output when you receive the Conversion error? Have you installed the PDF printer in TMG (File / Printer setup / Install PDF Printer)?

Virginia

Virginia,

Yes, I'm running v8 on WinXP under Parallels.

I haven't found a way to edit a report (usually saved as a PDF). Too bad that bug was fixed. It was really handy to edit, then print.

The report output goes to an ISC file for the List of.... Yes, I have the PDF printer installed.

Thanks for your continued help.

Debbie