Jump to content


Photo

GEDCOM export--no ancestors

GEDCOM export

  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 benbrink

benbrink
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

I just installed v 8.0 and I didn't see this specific topic.

I have tried exporting GEDCOM 5.5 and 4.0 to upload to collaborative site. The site rejects the file as corrupted.

I have exported my whole file (about 22k names), a and focus groups (about 2000 names and 200 names) as a experiment.

I opened the GEDCOM in PAF as a test. The names appear but all the family ancestor links have been stripped. Some descendent links remain but when I go to them they do not show any ancestors either.

Anybody else have this problem and is there a fix?

#2 benbrink

benbrink
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

tried another export test. all the ancestor and decendent links are stripped--just the people. what to do?

#3 Helmut Leininger

Helmut Leininger
  • Senior Members
  • 263 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vienna / Austria

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:10 AM

Could you describe the parameters for the export or supply screenshots? I do exports regularly and have never come across this problem.
Regards
Helmut

#4 benbrink

benbrink
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

the parameters are just set up as default on everything in the wizard. I have exported both to 4.0 and 5.5 gedcom files--same result. I have exported both my full file--about 20 k names--and subsets with 100-1000 names--same result. The file used was an upgraded file from v7--everything worked fine in that version. I also tried a restored backup of the same file from 7.0--got an even stranger result--the gedcom was only 1k large. I really don't know what is going on.

#5 RayWing

RayWing
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Genealogist, Wing Family of America, Inc.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

I vaguely recall having something similar happen to me (ie - exporting to Gedcom and the results not linking families together). If I remember correctly, it only affected me when I tried Gedcom version 5.5, but worked okay with Gedcom version 4.0.

I believe this was back when I was using version 7, and haven't tried using Gedcom 5.5 on version 8.


I have a different issue with exporting to Gedcom on version 8, and it relates to how long it takes to complete the export. I have a LARGE dataset (about 210,000 individuals), so that may be part of the problem, but it takes several hours for the export, even on a brand new Windows 8 machine with 4 cores & lots of memory.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GEDCOM export

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users