Jim

error during update

When attempting to update TMG to v8.07 I encountered the error "there is a problem with this Windows installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personal or package vendor."

Can you please tell me what the problem is and how to work around?

Thanks, Jim

I have the same problem. I saved the log file if anyone is interested. It's a bit long to just cut & paste here, so contact me at doug@wdgordon.com if you would like me to send it.

Instead of trying to use "Check for an update" download the full installer for TMG v8.07 and i.e. save it on your desktop and run it.

In order to get the "full installer" either:

-go to the Wholly Genes website and download the 30-day trial

or

-follow the appropriate link as i.e. provided in Wholly Genes Newsletter, 19 April 2013, Issue 2013-1

If this process does not work for some reason, we recommend that you uninstall and reinstall using the full installer which is available from
http://whollygenes.swmirror.com/tmg8setup.exe (U.S. Edition)
or
http://whollygenes.swmirror.com/tmg8uksetup.exe (UK Edition)

Hope that get's you up and running.

If not so, the WG Newsletter recommends:

In the case of an ongoing upgrade problem, please consult the advice posted by Jim Byram here:
http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showtopic=14634
and/or contact tech support (support@whollygenes.com) with specific details of the problem (including any error message) and a description of your system. Thanks.

Edited by Vera Nagel

Interestingly, that seems to be my only choice. When the update "backed out" of its installation, it apparently did a full removal of the original version! However, it did work.

Edited by DougG

I had the same Windows installer error when trying to update from 8.06 to 8.07. When i went back to TMG, the program had been removed. So I had to download the trial version from the Wholly Genes website. When I installed that my whole program was there, with my own 32-digit code, not the trial version. Gave me quite a scare, since I've just had a couple of other problems resolved in the last couple weeks. Got comfort knowing I have the sqz backups. That's the name of the game: BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!

Hi,

in case of a failed update installation (after Check for Updates ...) you will probably find the installer in

C:UsersAll UsersThe Master Genealogist v8 Installerupdate

with the name tmg8setup.exe

you may re-install it from there without needing a new download of the trial version.

Regards

Helmut