• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Helmut Leininger

Helmut Leininger
  • Senior Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:33 AM

Terry,

this is not my experience. I have a 4-CPU system and TMG never uses more than 25 % of total CPU. It may be that it does change CPU's, but I don't think it does (or is able to) use more than one CPU at a time.

Regards
Helmut

#22 Helmut Leininger

Helmut Leininger
  • Senior Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:48 AM

Terry,

if you are right, then Susan's problem might be a problem of thread synchronisation within TMG. What I mean s that one process/thread could be too fast for  another one. (something like thread A is started, thread B should wait for the termination if thread A or should be informed b A. But A has already terminated before B is ready for waiting/accepting the termination message). I remember some rare cases I and some others have experienced when starting TMG where it ran into error messages (I think it was some variables not found or similar) when the project was opened automatically. It could be avoided by passing via the welcome screen and clicking Last.

Regards
Helmut

#23 Susan Moore

Susan Moore
  • User Group Coordinators
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

Yes, I run Optimize, Validate File Integrity, Optimize because I read on the Forum someplace that you should always run Optimize after Validate File Integrity. No, I do not have DropBox. I can email my project since it is not large with only 774 people.

Should I email just the backup of the project or do you want some of my other files excluding the exhibits?

Susan

#24 Susan Moore

Susan Moore
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

Terry,

if you are right, then Susan's problem might be a problem of thread synchronisation within TMG. What I mean s that one process/thread could be too fast for  another one. (something like thread A is started, thread B should wait for the termination if thread A or should be informed b A. But A has already terminated before B is ready for waiting/accepting the termination message). I remember some rare cases I and some others have experienced when starting TMG where it ran into error messages (I think it was some variables not found or similar) when the project was opened automatically. It could be avoided by passing via the welcome screen and clicking Last.

When I open TMG to the Welcome screen and click Last to load my project it takes 13-14 minutes to load my project.

When I open TMG to the Welcome screen and click Sample, wait for it to load, File Close Project, File 2 (my project) it takes 3-4 minutes thus saving 10 minutes. I have only been loading my project from the Welcome screen.

Susan

#25 Helmut Leininger

Helmut Leininger
  • Senior Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

Hi Susan,

you may mail the project to hlein@gmx.at

If I should be interested in other files too, I will let you know.

Regards
Helmut

#26 Susan Moore

Susan Moore
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

Project emailed. 805 KB.

Susan Moore

#27 Helmut Leininger

Helmut Leininger
  • Senior Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

the problem is reproduceable on my PC wit Susan's project. But no idea yet about the reason.

Regards
Helmut

#28 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

Please email me the project backup that you sent Helmut and I'll do an in-depth analysis of the project structure.

You can send me an email by clicking on the link below.

Jim Byram

#29 Helmut Leininger

Helmut Leininger
  • Senior Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

FYI

I just did the following with Susan's project:

- select about 10 persons  in the project explorer

- run a list of persons report with secondary output creating a new project (takes a few seconds)

Opening the new project shows the same problem.

Regards
Helmut

#30 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

The project had a bad TSENTENCE memo for the Census1930 tag type. I fixed it and sent the repaired project to Susan. The fixed project opens as it should.

This is the 3rd or 4th project that I've examined with this particular type of TSENTENCE damage.

#31 Helmut Leininger

Helmut Leininger
  • Senior Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

Jim,

I also suspected the tag types as the problem is also present with one person only and the _t.fpt file seemed to be quite large. But I have not yet been able to trace it down to this detail.

Regards
Helmut

#32 Susan Moore

Susan Moore
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

Thank you Jim and Helmut. My project has been restored and loads very fast.

Susan Moore

#33 Alexander Payne

Alexander Payne
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Hello All,

Can you advise how you found this damaged TSENTENCE within a project? I am also having some issues with my project that is 2GB in Size(600,000 Names) and its very slow when I click on something within the program(Click PICKLIST of people could take 5-10 mins to populate.)

Windows 7

Core i7

4GB RAM

240 SSD

#34 Susan Moore

Susan Moore
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:26 AM

I do not know what Jim used to edit my file. I do know that he deleted and replaced the roles and/or tag for CENSUS1930 based on another tag. He identified the file ending in t.fpt in my project as the problem because it was very large. After the fix it was about 20% of the original size. My file is now 401 KB. It is larger, however I have added more roles since the fix.

Susan Moore

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Problem, Loads Slowly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users