My problems actually started in 8.06 with TMG starting quickly but then when I clicked last on the Welcome Window to load my project it started taking 10 minutes to load. This was 35 minutes at the highest point. I rebuilt my computer from the backup partition and then again from the DVD recovery disks. I reloaded 8.06 and it was taking about 13 minutes to load my project. Dorothy insisted that I go back to 8.08 so that she could help me and then suggested that I restore my last 8.04 backup. This solved everything after I restored about a month's worth of changes which took several days at least.
At this point I only have Windows 7 Home Premium, Vipre Anti-Virus, Malwarebytes, TMG, Belarc Advisor, Adobe Reader, Adobe Digital Editions and FrontPage loaded on my computer.
Now after a couple of weeks, I am back to taking 13-14 minutes to load my project. At least at this point, unlike when I was running 8.06, it is not slow once the data is loaded. I have run the maintenance and refreshed the relationships. I run Malwarebytes regularly and Vipre Antivirus does a deep scan every night. I defragment automatically every week. I am only using 13% of the 678 GB available to the C drive and have 8 GB of memory available on a quad-core hyper-threaded 2.6 GHz computer.