dorisw

Any alternative to TMG printing?

Has anyone tried to print out a VCF chart locally? Did TMG's printer use special software? It seems to me the charts I ordered were always so much better than what I sent them, but maybe it was only the small screen vs. full effect of large-scale printing. Suggestions?

Thank you.

Doris Wheeler

Doris,

I don't think WG made modifications to what you sent them unless there was a specific problem or issue. However, I do not know for sure and I have no inside information. I know that when I sent charts to the WG printing service, they came back looking great, but I think that was mostly due to what the combo of TMG and VCF produced, and a high quality printer, rather than modifications by WG staff before printing.

My suggestion is to try printing a small chart at one of the large-format print services like FedEx Office or whichever service is close/convenient for you. You can learn from that, and doing a small chart means it won't be an expensive lesson. I've used FedEx Office for non-genealogy printing and the results have been good. I didn't liek the results from Staples, but that may have been my fault, not theirs.

Whichever service you use, ask them which formats work best. I suspect they'll suggest PDF. Someone on TMG-L mentioned a service (I forget which) that accepts VCF files. That might be the best option, but I don't think they have local offices so you'd have to wait (and pay for) shipping, which makes a test print a little more expensive.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, John. I have used FedEx for print jobs, but just assumed VCF was "different." (Sorry for the delayed reply. I just discovered your reply.:-()

I will definitely try this.

I save to pdf and take to FedEx. I miss doing color charts though. B/W at FedEx costs the same as color from Wholly Genes. Color from FedEx is crazy expensive.

Robbie, How do you save to PDF? I can't even find something online that converts VCF or VC2 to or saves as PDF. I can get JPG, BMP or Meta something.

Thanks,

Doris

I have not reviewed this for a few years therefore IT IS OUT OF DATE but it will give you some idea of what's involved in producing a large chart in PDF format.

Printing Large Charts to PDF

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/14684-printing-large-charts-to-pdf/&do=findComment&comment=59391

Thank you, Glenn. I will certainly try these instructions. Ooooh, how I miss WG.:-(

Now that I've found the right forum string, I see that Roots Magic is also an alternative. I purchased the software but really haven't used it. I don't suppose they have the same kind of printing facility... Will have to check.

Doris