Sign in to follow this  
LuAnn

Deleting sources

I recently created a new project and imported a gedcom into it which was part of another larger project. I then imported all the sources from that larger project into the new project. I did this because I had quite a few custom sources that I didn't want to have to recreate. Now, I'm wondering if there's a way I can delete all the sources in the new project that are not cited. I know I can do it manually but I was hoping there was a way to do it all at once. Thanks.

LuAnn

When I've removed uncited sources, I've done it one at a time. And can see no way in TMG Utility to remove multiple uncited sources at once.

LuAnn,

I suspect you could do it by citing all the uncited sources you wish to keep, say by citing them or a temporary person you enter, then using the Secondary Output of the List of People report to copy everyone in your Project to a new Project. I believe the new Project will contain only sources that have been cited. Is that right Jim?

This will probably re-number all your people and sources, and may have other intended consequences. It may be more trouble than just manually removing the unwanted sources.

I don't understand the temporary person bit.

If you use the List of People to copy everyone to a new project, the new project should then have only the cited sources.

This process will lose any history tags that you might have. It will also lose any unlinked data such as unlinked repositories.

Jim,

I thought LuAnn wanted to keep some of the sources that had been imported but not cited. But on re-reading her post it look like not, so no need for that step.

I was pretty sure that un-cited sources would get dropped by copying to a new Project, as well as any unused custom Source Types, Tag Types, and Styles. I had not realized that history tags are lost. All these are only issues if they exist in the Project, which we don't know.

So, LuAnn, you have options to evaluate. :)