Judy M.

Increase text size on "main" screen?

My new laptop has a much higher resolution than my old one. As a result, the size of the text on the "main" screen (Explorer, Details, Flags, Children, Siblings, and Image) is very small, as is the text when I'm entering a new tag. Well, actually, everything is very small, which is tough on my eyes. I have used various methods to increase text size in general, including reducing the resolution, using an app that applies 8.1 DPI scaling, etc. These fixes work in other programs, but so far I haven't been able to do much with TMG. Any suggestions?

Thanks...

I use a high resolution screen (2560x1440) and have adjusted the TMG font size on the Program Options - Lists, Project Explorer and Other tabs so that all screens in my layout have satisfactory font sizes.

The default text on many lower level screens uses the default text size but I don't find that to be a problem. All data fields have the larger text size.

Your reply was very helpful. It hadn't occurred to me to looks at the items you've listed above. Apparently the data input for "Tag Entry" (other than for Memo) uses the default text, as I haven't found anything to increase the size of that data. It's very small, IMO.

What size display do you use for your high-rez screen?

Thanks very much for your help!

How do you change the windows size for just TMG? I've never done something like that.

The same way that you resize any window. I use a utility that can resize a window to a selected size.

After you set the window size, then you need to adjust a custom layout to fit all of the workspace windows appropriately.

You can always change window sizes by dragging the edges or corners. The tool lets you set an exact size for a window. I use this on multiple application windows so that they all have the same size on my desktop.

I'll send you the tool that I use if you email me.

Jim Byram

I'll send an email. I've resized individual windows by "dragging," but this sounds somewhat different. Thanks!

Your reply was very helpful. It hadn't occurred to me to looks at the items you've listed above. Apparently the data input for "Tag Entry" (other than for Memo) uses the default text, as I haven't found anything to increase the size of that data.

Hi Judy,

For more (gory) details about Font sizes you might look in the "Style" chapter of my on-line book about configuring TMG and review the Fonts topic. However as my notes in that section mention, it does seem that some aspects of the "Tag Entry" do appear to use the default Windows font size.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Would like to change font size in PERSON VIEW. Cannot find where to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just bought a new high res laptop and TMG is not clear now.

R.

See the second post in this topic. The Tag Box is a list.

TMG was developed long before high resolution displays were available so has limited settings to deal with such issues.

Hi, folks!  I've also recently upgraded my system and am trying to figure out the best way to do things with TMG.  My setup is using a TV as the display for my desktop system and sitting across the room from it.  With the way Windows 10 handles "Make Everything Bigger" = reduce screen resolution, I am dissatisfied.  

I'm trying WinAero Tweaker, a 3rd-party tool that allows me to adjust font and font size/spacing for various parts of the Windows UI but it has some quirks and it seems that whenever I switch from say 125% to 100%, Windows resizes all of my fonts back to 9-point (the apparent default).  Since I have to change each font size item one at a time with the tool and log out/log back in for it to take effect, this is also unsatisfactory.  

So I'd welcome suggestions for other options or tools.  

Most specifically, I would like to know if anyone has ever figured out which registry key controls the default font size that is used by TMG for the Tag Entry box.  Is it using a Windows default, or is there a TMG-specific registry key that controls it?  Because as it is now, I have to use the Magnifier, which is less than ideal.  

Also would like to know if there is a registry key I could edit to control the colors for the location field names in the Tag Entry box.  I have to use the reversed high contrast settings (light text on black background) for Windows and TMG makes the location field names/labels white text on light gray background, which is not legible.  (This is comparatively unimportant though since I've been living with it for years.)  Pretty sure that if it exists, this one will be a TMG-specific registry key as I can't think of another place where TMG doesn't use the system color scheme.  

All TMG program settings are in the app.ini and there is not a setting to control the color of the  location field names/labels.

You're correct that the data field text on the Tag Entry screen is controlled by the system font size and that's not something that you want to mess with.