Sign in to follow this  
Elderflower

Defining a Family Group Flag

I have been reading the thread on "Adding Unrelated Family" with interest and decided I would like to identify which part of my tree an individual belongs to by adding a Family Group Flag as mentioned in Michael's post number 16.

I tried to do this by identifying each of my four Grandparents and then running Connected reports for each line. However, I soon realised that they are all connected eventually to me so all of them will have all four family group flags marked as Y. I have tried leaving the "add spouse" box empty in the report filter, but this misses a lot of the family line related group. I have tried running it with the "add spouse" ticked and removing the Grandparent's spouse manually but as soon as I run it again for the next pass, that spouse gets added in etc.etc.

Is there a way I can identify, with flags, the line any individual belongs to? What report options do I need?

I hope there is a way to do this. Thank you for the interesting discussions and ideas on this forum.

Pat

Hi Pat,

This "Family Group" Flag idea is one which several users have mentioned in the past. For both you and Judy (and any other lurkers) I have tried to give a full explanation of this concept in Judy's thread. See my recent reply to her here.

As for your comment about multiple membership in lines when using multiple family group Flags, only you can decide on your criterion for whether a person "belongs" to a given family group. One method I have seen is based on a few end-of-line ancestors as follows: neither the spouse nor the spouse's ancestors are marked as a member of their spouse's family group, but the offspring are all marked as belonging to both. The Flags in this method suggest a person is marked as belonging to a given family group if they should share genetic material with that group's end-of-line ancestor, and is not marked if they could not. So you might use this for your four grandparents, or more appropriately further back end-of-line ancestors.

An alternative purpose of such Flags is to identify all persons who are direct descendants or ancestors of one of several specific people (such as your four grandparents). At the opposite end of these direct lines some people would be expected to be marked as direct to multiple of such people, others would not. Another possible purpose is to identify connected versus unconnected family groups. If the project contained multiple family groups each unconnected to the others, each Flag could identify each group. In that case you would expect all four grandparents to be connected to the same single family group, but you might have entered other unconnected family groups who would have their own Flag.

How you choose to set your Flags is up to you and what you want that Flag to show. Hope this gives you ideas,

Thank you for your reply Michael. I am going to also look at the post on the other thread as you suggested and decide what I will do.

Again, thank you for your input, your advice is appreciated.

Pat