irishwalsh

Formatting paragraphs in Individual Narrative Reports

Sure.

You do that by adding carriage return codes -- [:CR:] -- and if you want to indent the new paragraph to match the style of the Journal report, tab codes - [:TAB:] - to the Sentences at the places you want the new paragraph to begin. You can either type in those codes, or use the right-click menu in the Sentence field to insert them.

You can do that by modifying the Sentences of individual Tags, or if you  want all Tag of a specific  type to start with a new paragraph, by modifying the Sentences of the Tag Type.

Another method is to create custom versions of Tag Types you sometimes like to start a new paragraph and include those codes in those custom Tag Types. Then, if you want a particular Tag to start with a new paragraph change the Tag Type for that Tag to you custom version. 

If you are not familiar with modifying Sentences you may find my articles Customizing Your Tags helpful.

Thanks. I knew there had to be a way, but I didn't know what the codes were, but your help prompted me to find them. and I will spend some more time with your articles getting up to speed.

As a note, for various reasons if you wish to separate into paragraphs, put [:CR:] (and optionally [:TAB:] ) at the beginning of a sentence, not at the end.  In some cases the carriage return or tag at the end of a tag's output can be stripped.  It "shouldn't" matter, but it does, so be warned.

I notice that in journal reports, the  -- [:CR:] - sometimes generates two "line feeds" so that you get a blank line between paragraphs.  (For those who remember the old days of coding, it appears the -- [:CR:] -  code is actually generating <CR> <LF> <LF>).  However, the regular paragraph breaks produced by Journal reports don't have the extra line feed (i.e. <CR><LF>, hence no blank line between paragraphs) as for example when you put BMDB info in the first paragraph and other info follows in the second paragraph.  Is there anyway to control this so all paragraphs, whether system produced or produced by me, have the same breaking characteristic (either consistently with, or consistently without a blank line between paragraphs). 

Edited by rrh7254
now unsure of what I am seeing.