When I try to backup my project, I get the message: “Input file read failure - this error occurs when a read operation is performed on a ZIP file that is locked or restricted by another process”
I ran validate file integrity - no problem found
I’ve rebooted the computer - no help
I moved all backups to another drive - no help
I copied project to a new name - no help, still wouldn’t backup
I opened a different project, it backed up properly.
So my problem seems to be only with this one project

Anybody have any ideas?

Try backing up to the backups folder in the TMG user tree. Typically...

C:\Users\(user account name)\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9\Backups

Jim,

I do usually use the backup folder. This project will not backup, regardless of the destination

It originated from a .sqz on my laptop, and that was backed up directly to a thumb drive. I entered data for about four hours taday, before discovering the problem. If you cannot think of anything else, I will do a standard backup on the laptop, copy it to this computer via a thumbdrive, and reenter.

So if you have any ideas, I'll try them first.

John MayBee

There is no need to re-enter the data.

You can always make a backup by making a .ZIP file of a project folder, naming it appropriately and storing it in a safe location. You can delete the .CDX files from the .ZIP file to make it smaller. This is a good reason to store each project in its own folder.

Since I back up every night, this would take more space and time that the work I did do.

I extracted records last edited since 6 May to a new project; deleted the project; restored the project from my laptop to a new folder (thanks to your advice); and merged the projects, merged the 28 people, merged sources, and now have a project that backs up. It only took about 90 minutes.

Glad that you got things fixed.

This error comes from the ZIP file component used by TMG. It typically happens when the backup is written to an external drive. Why you got the error and why your fix worked is a mystery. The error is not usually project-related.

I didn't suggest the ZIP file as a routine backup although note that the TMG backup is just a ZIP file and can be duplicated manually. My point was to suggest that there are alternative methods to protect your data.