Sign in to follow this  
Morbius

Residence Tag Sentence Structure

I am struggling with the sentence structure for the residence tag.  Currently, the sentence structure for principals and witnesses is as follows

[P] <|and [PO]> resided at <[L]>< with [WO]> <[D]>

For the following circumstances

P1:  Harold Frederick Lantz [father]

P2:  blank

W1:  Paul Leroy Lantz [son]

W2:  Virginia Eleanora Lantz [daughter]

Resided on Scott street, Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts in December 1916

Sentence structure with Harold Frederick Lantz as principal (journal report), comes out as

Harold Frederick Lantz resided at Scott Street, Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts, with Paul Leroy Lantz and Virginia Eleanora Lantz in December 1916.

This is fine, but the sentence structure with Paul Leroy Lantz as principal (journal report)

Harold Frederick Lantz resided at Scott Street, Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts, with Virginia Eleanora Lantz in December 1916.

For some reason the principal (listed in the tag as a witness) does not appear in the sentence

The sentence structure works for for the reports I have been generating (mostly journal and individual narrative reports) for the principals, but doesn't work for the witnesses.  I would like to generate something like

Witness 1, was residing in this place, with Principal 1 and Principal 2 (when present, which it isn't in this case), with other witnesses (when present) on date.  Or something like that.  I was hoping the collective experience could help me sort this out.

thanks

You don't use the principal sentence for witnesses.

You need an appropriate witness sentence. Something like...

[W] resided in the household of [P1] <and [P2]> at <[L]> < with [WO]> <[D]>

Terry or Michael might have a better sentence suggestion.

Morbius,

The name of the Witness doesn't appear in the output for the simple reason that your Sentence doesn't use any variable for the Witness's name. Instead, it is specifying that the Principal's name be output.

If you want the Witness's name you need to include a variable that will output it, such as the Witness variable [W] or the Subject variable . If you tell us what output you want for the two Witnesses we can suggest a Sentence that will produce it.

I think the structure proposed by Jim Byam should do.

[W] resided in the household of [P1] <and [P2]> at <[L]> < with [WO]> <[D]

If I have it right, this lists everyone in the household, starting with the current witness.  With Paul Leroy Lantz as the current witness, I get:

Paul Leroy Lantz resided in the household of Harold Frederick Lantz at at Scott Street, Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts, with Virginia Eleanora Lantz in December 1916.

I think this will do, thanks