TinaInWonderland

Help! My Witnessed tags are dissappearing!

I noticed this morning that all of my witnessed tags have dissappeared! I am about to be sick over this! I spent most of the summer typing in a butt load of census information, linking everyone mentioned on the household's census as a witness. This was really great until it DISSAPPEARED!

Not only it it NOT showing any witnesses, ALL of the census information is GONE, as the Census tags themselves do not even show up!

I emailed tech support this morning, but they tried to call me at home instead of emailing me, so I don't know when I will actually be in contact with them.

If anyone knows of a quick fix for this PLEASE tell me! I'm using TMG V6.01. I haven't tried working with the backup files because I want to first find out what caused my data to suddenly become invisible.

Thanks in advance,

Tina

I noticed this morning that all of my witnessed tags have dissappeared!  I am about to be sick over this!  I spent most of the summer typing in a butt load of census information, linking everyone mentioned on the household's census as a witness.  This was really great until it DISSAPPEARED!

Not only it it NOT showing any witnesses, ALL of the census information is GONE, as the Census tags themselves do not even show up! 

I emailed tech support this morning, but they tried to call me at home instead of emailing me, so I don't know when I will actually be in contact with them.

If anyone knows of a quick fix for this PLEASE tell me!  I'm using TMG V6.01.  I haven't tried working with the backup files because I want to first find out what caused my data to suddenly become invisible.

Thanks in advance,

Tina

While in the Details view, open the rightclick menu and see if there is a checkmark by 'Filter for non-witnessed events.' If so, uncheck it.

Virginia

Hi Virginia, and thanks a bunch for trying to help me with this. :) I really appreciate it.

None of the rightclick menu filters are on. The Census tag does show up in the Master Tag list. Also, I have found some people whose census info (linked to witnesses) is still there. The family units of a particular branch that I have been working the most on recently, though (a couple with 12 children) is just gone. Their names and all the other information and tags are there, but the census information linking all the kids as witnesses, for them, their children and spouses is just gone.

So, I'm at least glad I have found some census info still intact, but I am worried that what is left may also dissappear. I have over 2,000 people in my genealogy files, so it will take a long while to go back to each family unit to see how many census and witness tags are gone and how many are left.

See if the missing tags show up on a Family Group Sheet for the family, with Options:

Select: All Tag types

Select: All events and witnessed events

UNselect 'Restrict to BMDB group events' for Subject - Spouse - Children.

Do you use the standard Census tag or do you have custom census tags for each census year?

Virginia

I just tried the Family Group Sheet with those specifications, and the census data did not show up.

I am using the standard census tag, so some of my families will have 4 or 5 seperate census tags in their 'details' window, one for each year I have found their name on a census.

I just tried the Family Group Sheet with those specifications, and the census data did not show up.

I am using the standard census tag, so some of my families will have 4 or 5 seperate census tags in their 'details' window, one for each year I have found their name on a census.

Tina,

Dare I ask, do you have more than one dataset with some of the same people in them?

Possibly Some data has inadventently been input into a separate project or dataset?

That's about all I can think of to explain what you are describing here.

No, Lorna, these people are only in my single large database.

As stated above, this one family unit from my large database has lost all the census information that I had entered. For the 14 people in that group, the census tags for 1870, 1880, and 1900 - with each child, spouse, etc linked as a witness to any and all of the census records they were listed on - came up missing. They showed up for a while after I entered the information, but then one day they were just missing. No census tags, no witness tags, nothing. Since I have done a lot of extensive work on that particular family group lately, I'm thinking something must have happened to my data while it was open or a report was being made or something.

This sounded very similar to the problem you posted about yesterday. Have you had any luck retrieving your census witness tags?

Tina,

Dare I ask, do you have more than one dataset with some of the same people in them?

Possibly Some data has inadventently been input into a separate project or dataset?

That's about all I can think of to explain what you are describing here.

No, Lorna, these people are only in my single large database. 

As stated above, this one family unit from my large database has lost all the census information that I had entered.  For the 14 people in that group, the census tags for 1870, 1880, and 1900 - with each child, spouse, etc linked as a witness to any and all of the census records they were listed on - came up missing.  They showed up for a while after I entered the information, but then one day they were just missing.  No census tags, no witness tags, nothing.  Since I have done a lot of extensive work on that particular family group lately, I'm thinking something must have happened to my data while it was open or a report was being made or something.

This sounded very similar to the problem you posted about yesterday.  Have you had any luck retrieving your census witness tags?

Sorry Tina, but the difference between thee and me is that I hadn't lost my tag, only the witnesses attached to the tag i had just edited the global witness role sentence on (while in the census tag entry screen)

Hi,

I have a problem related? problem.

I no longer have a witness tab on my (standard) census tag entry form.

I assume I must have accidentally changed a setting, but can't find it in Preferences.

Help

Thanks, Mark

Hi,

I assume I must have accidentally changed a setting, but can't find it in Preferences.

Help

Thanks, Mark

Most likely reason: Preferences > Program Options > Data Entry : Use tabbed version of Tag entry (at the bottom of that screen). If you had changed from Advanced Data Entry mode to Beginner Mode, you would also lose that tab since you don't have the Witness feature in Beginner mode.

Virginia

Tina

Is it possible that when you were finished with the tag you hit CANCEL instead of OK? So the tag was never created? There has to be a logical reason for this, so stay calm. There are a lot of us using TMG that haven't had this, so we just need to figure out why you are. Usually it's something simple and easy to fix.

I noticed this morning that all of my witnessed tags have dissappeared! I am about to be sick over this! I spent most of the summer typing in a butt load of census information, linking everyone mentioned on the household's census as a witness. This was really great until it DISSAPPEARED!

If anyone knows of a quick fix for this PLEASE tell me! I'm using TMG V6.01. I haven't tried working with the backup files because I want to first find out what caused my data to suddenly become invisible.

Thanks in advance,

Tina

Tina,

Another thing, I would update to 6.12. There have been a lot of improvements between 6.01 and 6.12 that you would greatly benefit from.

Hi,

Help

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

It may be a bit late for this suggestion, but do you have backups of your database? Ideally, you will have made frequent backups, and you kept them all in separate files. That way, if you create a data problem that you don't notice for some time, you can review previous backups to see where the problem was introduced.

In addition, if you know the data was correct in a particular backup, but restoring that backup gives you the same problem, it suggests you have an incorrect TMG setting for what you want to see, rather than missing data.

A couple of times I have had to restore to an older backup to correct a problem, so I am glad to have lots of backups - on several computers.

Pierce