MsScarlet1957

Linking a photo to an place in Master Place List

In my small hometown, many times over the years various families lived at the same address...

So I thought it was neat to be able to go to the Master Place List, pick an address, and link a photo for the house found there...

Example: Photo of 58 Main Street, hometown, USA...

After linking several photos to their respective address, I searched for someone who actually has a residence at one of the addresses that has a pic linked to it within Master Place list, and created a report that includes the 'residence" tag associated with that home and also check to show all exhibits in the options.

Well.... no go on the photo showing up in the report.

It says: John Doe lived at 58 Main Street in 1922 in the report (created to Word v6).

So the tag is showing up ...

but the ability to go to "edit" and "links" as I do in all other reports, is grey out and thus no links to pic for this addresses "house photo"

What is the point of linking pictures to places if they don't print?

Or am I missing a step? B)

Hi,

I use Second Site to create web pages from my TMG data, and it has a place index feature that will output an index of places together with the photo and any information you have stored in the Master Place List, and links all people with that place to the index.

That said, very good question for if you are using just TMG. I've just experimented with an Individual Narrative report and played with the Exhibit options to see if I could get a place image to appear, and couldn't. But I didn't try for long.

I can also see that the list of places report does allow you to filter for things like Comment is not empty, but I couldn't spot any way of outputting attached images.

Perhaps someone else can help with the TMG specific side of your question.

:( OK Well that don't make me happy...

I spent (or Wasted) a lot of time to link photos to addresses, and now have no use for that.

Thanks to both of you for taking time to answer anyways... ;)

Not necessarily. I find them useful, when I am working with a cousin. If he wants to see Grandma's house in 1925, then you have a copy to show him. Also at some time in the future, it might become an option and you will be ahead of the game. I mostly attach maps and mark where my ancestors lived, so when I go to another line for a while, I have a visual reminder when I return to that line and place.

Not necessarily.  I find them useful, when I am working with a cousin.  If he wants to see Grandma's house in 1925, then you have a copy to show him.  Also at some time in the future, it might become an option and you will be ahead of the game.  I mostly attach maps and mark where my ancestors lived, so when I go to another line for  a while, I have a visual reminder when I return to that line and place.

Yes I have done that from the start (linking photos of the address of grandma's house from the 1930 census to her 1930 census tag).

But one of the updates (I think it was the first 6.0) allowed us to link an exhibit to a place from within the Master place list.

So my thinking was that by linking the photo of the house located at 430 Main Street from within the Master Place field would be great...

Then whenever I find somone else that lived at 430 main street...

I would choose that address from the F2 place list and then when the report printed it would put that pic in the report!

BUT NO it does not work.

for now I have to link the photo of the house at 430 Main to EACH tag.. as a person is found to live there (the old way I have been doing since first using TMG)

So I guess I still do not understand the use for linking a photo of a place to any given place from within the Master Place field... :ph34r:

To see where grandma lived in the 1930 census, I have to go to grandma...

and click on her 1930 census tag, and open the exhibit linked to that.