Ann

Exporting to Gedcom V6.04

I have created a Focus Group which I wish to use as a Gedcom export. I have started the export Gedcom Wizard but the option to use the Focus Group is greyed out. What am I doing wrong?

Regards

Ann

I have created a Focus Group which I wish to use as a Gedcom export. I have started the export Gedcom Wizard but the option to use the Focus Group is greyed out.  What am I doing wrong?

Step 4 has two primary options - "Current Focus Person" and the data set. Only when you click on the second one do the three choice under it - "All People," "Selected people in the Project Explorer," and "People in the Focus Group" become available. I suspect the problem is you didn't choose the second of the two primary choices.

Step 4 has two primary options - "Current Focus Person" and the data set. Only when you click on the second one do the three choice under it - "All People," "Selected people in the Project Explorer," and "People in the Focus Group" become available. I suspect the problem is you didn't choose the second of the two primary choices.

Sorry Terry,

but I have selected the bottom option and I still only get two of the three options of All People, Selected people on project explorer, and the third option of Focus Group is greyed out.

Thanks

Ann

Sorry Terry,

but I have selected the bottom option and I still only get two of the three options of All People, Selected people on project explorer, and the third option of Focus Group is greyed out.

Thanks

Ann

Do you have more than one data set in the project and if so have you selected the correct data set in the drop down list of the window just under Current Focus Person? Is there a message at the bottom of that screen in Step 4: 'There are no people in the current focus group'?

I can duplicate the dimmed focus group option under those conditions - when the data set which has the focus group is not selected.

Virginia

Do you have more than one data set in the project and if so have you selected the correct data set in the drop down list of the window just under Current Focus Person?  Is there a message at the bottom of that screen in Step 4: 'There are no people in the current focus group'?

I can duplicate the dimmed focus group option under those conditions - when the data set which has the focus group is not selected.

Virginia

I do have more than one dataset but I can have the Focus group open with all the names visible while trying to create a Gedcom and still the option is greyed out. Think my next step will have to be Tech Support.

Thanks for your input though

Ann

I do have more than one dataset but I can have the Focus group open with all the names visible while trying to create a Gedcom and still the option is greyed out. Think my next step will have to be Tech Support.

Thanks for your input though

Ann

Whether the focus group is currently open with all the names visible does not make a difference. The focus group can be closed and still be exported. With more than one data set in a project, a user could have several saved focus groups in different data sets and could export any one of them - not necessarily the current focus group.

If there are multiple data sets in a project, you must specify in the export wizard to which data set the focus group belongs. The focus group option will be dimmed until you select the data set.

In the Export Wizard, on the screen where you have the three options for All people, selected people or people in the focus group, look in the long box directly above those options. Does the data set selected in that box match the data set containing the focus group? If not, use the drop down arrow list to select the correct data set. The focus group option should then be active.

Virginia

Whether the focus group is currently open with all the names visible does not make a difference.  The focus group can be closed and still be exported.  With more than one data set in a project, a user could have several saved focus groups in different data sets and could export any one of them - not necessarily the current focus group.

If there are multiple data sets in a project, you must specify in the export wizard to which data set the focus group belongs.  The focus group option will be dimmed until you select the data set.

In the Export Wizard, on the screen where you have the three options for All people, selected people or people in the focus group, look in the long box directly above those options.  Does the data set selected in that box match the data set containing the focus group?  If not, use the drop down arrow list to select the correct data set.  The focus group option should then be active.

Virginia

Ah, that is the problem. Thank you Virginia. I thought I was to chose the Focus Group option and then chose which of my focus groups. But you were correct and the dataset showing in the drop down box was not the one relating to the saved Focus Group. Once I changed this it now works. Simple explanation.

Many thanks.

A grateful Ann