Arman

Wish list: Add ISO 8601 international date format

Hi,

We are creating genealogy reports in several languages and, therefore we require a general, unambiguous date format.

TMG v6 has already several date formats, but the international standard format, in accordance with ISO 8601, is still missing. This presents dates as yyyy-mm-dd.

For more information see W3C - Use the international date format (ISO) and International standard date and time notation.

I hope that Wholly Genes will implement this a.s.a.p.

Hi,

We are creating genealogy reports in several languages and, therefore we require a general, unambiguous date format.

TMG v6 has already several date formats, but the international standard format, in accordance with ISO 8601, is still missing. This presents dates as yyyy-mm-dd.

For more information see W3C - Use the international date format (ISO) and International standard date and time notation.

I hope that Wholly Genes will implement this a.s.a.p.

The use of any numeric date format other than this international standard should be banned from genealogy. I deal with both British and American sources, as well as some Canadian sources (which could use either British or American formats - I've even seen documents that are inconsistent within the one document) and I am never really sure what dates are that have a day number less than 13.

And that is aside from the fact that the international date format can be sorted very simply.

Pierce

I see yyyy.mm.dd is available in Preferences > Program Options > General > Date Format. Granted yyyy.mm.dd is NOT the ISO standard, but one could by using English2 make the edit to yyyy-mm-dd. Not having used languages (yet) I don't know the implications of doing this, but it seems TMG does support the yyyy mm dd format already. :unsure:

I see yyyy.mm.dd is available in Preferences > Program Options > General > Date Format. Granted yyyy.mm.dd is NOT the ISO standard, but one could by using English2 make the edit to yyyy-mm-dd. Not having used languages (yet) I don't know the implications of doing this, but it seems TMG does support the yyyy mm dd format already. :unsure:

Hi Glenn,

I tried your advice. But, changing the language to English2 does not change the date format, only the change of the Preferences does this. As far as I understand can the date format not be changed by editing / customizing the language. Or am I wrong?

Edited by Arman

But, changing the language to English2 does not change the date format, only the change of the Preferences does this. As far as I understand can the date format not be changed by editing / customizing the language. Or am I wrong?

Changing Language does not have any impact on the date format - that's controlled by the Preferences setting, as you discovered. If you choose a date format in which the months are in alpha, rather than in numbers, you can edit the alpha text for the months in Languages. Likewise, if you specify that days of the week are to be included, those can be edited in Languages. But so far as I know, you cannot change any other aspect of date formats in Languages.

Changing Language does not have any impact on the date format - that's controlled by the Preferences setting, as you discovered. If you choose a date format in which the months are in alpha, rather than in numbers, you can edit the alpha text for the months in Languages. Likewise, if you specify that days of the week are to be included, those can be edited in Languages. But so far as I know, you cannot change any other aspect of date formats in Languages. 

What I find interesting is I can modify English2 to show yyyy-mm-dd, then when selecting a date format in Preferences it appears as yyyy-mm-dd, also on report options dates dialog. That is as far as I went in testing for my 25 Oct 2005 post. Assuming the dash - separators would be applied. Now in further testing I see they are not applied on the details view or in reports. :(

So is this a wish list item, a bug, or just the way date formatting works in TMG?