lindasmith

Suppressing tag in reports

Is there a way to suppress the "marriage" tag in the FGS report to keep from printing a Marriage? blank when you know a person was unmarried? Just trying to clean up my reports a little.

The marriage tag won't print if it doesn't exist, so the simplest solution is to not enter a marriage tag. If the couple had children, you can still create a Family Group Sheet because they and the children meet the definition of a family.

If you want to create a "Partners" or other marriage-like tag in the marriage group, you can exclude it from the FGS by going to the Tags tab of Options, choosing Selected tags, and un-select your "Partners" tag.

I probably wasn't clear in my question. I don't create a marriage tag but in my report preferences I check the option "birth, marriage, death when missing" because I like to have the blanks printed so I can fill them in when I find additional information. This results in a blank being printed for a marriage when I know there wasn't one. Common sense tells me that when I check this option I will always get the marriage blank but I was just wondering if there is a way around it.

The marriage tag won't print if it doesn't exist, so the simplest solution is to not enter a marriage tag. If the couple had children, you can still create a Family Group Sheet because they and the children meet the definition of a family.

If you want to create a "Partners" or other marriage-like tag in the marriage group, you can exclude it from the FGS by going to the Tags tab of Options, choosing Selected tags, and un-select your "Partners" tag.

I don't create a marriage tag but in my report preferences I check the option "birth, marriage, death when missing" because I like to have the blanks printed so I can fill them in when I find additional information.  This results in a blank being printed for a marriage when I know there wasn't one.  Common sense tells me that when I check this option I will always get the marriage blank but I was just wondering if there is a way around it.

Well, no, I don't think there's a way to tell it to print blanks for marriage and then have them not print. <_>

I can think of two solutions:

1. Send the report to a word processor, and remove that line.

2. Enter something like "Were not married" as the date in a marriage group tag, so it will be correct in the FGS. Don't know that would be acceptable to pass around to family though. :unsure: