chornung

Attaching Exhibits

I have been attaching a scan/exhibit to each Source, but am confused as to whether I should also be attaching that same exhibit in the Citation and/or the Tag Entry dialog boxes that use that Source as a reference.

At this point, I am not using generic sources - each certificate is a separate individual source.

Pros and cons for attaching the same exhibit in places other than to the actual source it was scanned from? Report implications?

Thanks! ~Carol in Detroit (who's finally starting to get the hang of it!! :D )

Edited by chornung

Carol,

Given what you described, I'd attach the exhibit to the source. You attaching it to each citation isn't wrong, but I think it's unnecessary. It's extra work for you now, it will increase the number of exhibits you have, and it won't improve the quality of the output in my opinion.

In Second Site, which is the only program that includes TMG's citation and source exhibits in the output, a source exhibit is one click away from the data: you have to click the source number in the citation. Citation exhibits will show on the page (unless you choose the "link" option) and while that might be slightly closer, it adds clutter.

If there are specific documents that are so interesting or fundamental to your research that you want to draw focus to them, you can attach them to citations or events. Personally, I attach those exhibits to events.

I agree with John. I attach them to the source, and to a special IMG-tag where they can be printed or not depending on my mood.

So I would have:

Birth

IMG-Birth

Marriage

IMG-Marriage

Death

IMG-Death

THen if I want to print just marriage images, I can deselect the IMG-Birth and IMG-Death tags.