mikemore

GEDCOM Errors

I just made a GEDCOM for a friend but when he imported it, he found some errors. In several cases, the Burial was before the Death and in another children were born several years after the death of the father. I opened the original file with MudCreek's GenViewer Lite and found the errors in the original GEDCOM file. I have rebuilt the GEDCOM, with several configuration changes. I corrected the Death but the other errors (and perhaps some that are not as obvious) remain. I can't see what I am doing wrong. I am running TMG 6.07. Anyone have similar experiences? Thanks.

This may seem silly, but did you look at those tags in TMG and verify that they were correct?

If so, can you tell where the wrong dates came from in the GEDCOM? That is, which tags had right and wrong dates, and are the wrong dates obviously from another tag?

This may seem silly, but did you look at those tags in TMG and verify that they were correct?

If so, can you tell where the wrong dates came from in the GEDCOM? That is, which tags had right and wrong dates, and are the wrong dates obviously from another tag?

Terry, that was my first thought as well. I have managed to reduce the problem by selecting only primary events. However, running the Audit report still shows five Burials before death. In the original projects, those Burials have a blank Date but the Sort Date is adjusted to after the death. They appear to have picked up the date from other tags in the individual: Occupation, Religion, Education, Census and Description.

That's all that I found quickly. I wonder if there are some others that are not as obvious.

However, running the Audit report still shows five Burials before death. In the original projects, those Burials have a blank Date but the Sort Date is adjusted to after the death. They appear to have picked up the date from other tags in the individual: Occupation, Religion, Education, Census and Description.

Mike,

When you look at the burials picked up in the audit report, are you saying that the date is blank in TMG when you look at the tag? But when you look at the GEDCOM the same burial now has a date from another tag?

That's it Terry. My original TMG Project has a blank Date (but a Sort Date). In the GEDCOM, the same burial has a date. For added fun, I just noticed that burial tag now has the citations from both the original burial tag and the tag that it borrowed the date from. I only just realized this when I noticed that the original burial record had two citations and the GEDCOM has four.

Mike,

I need to see your project, the GEDCOM, and a description of the examples that you are looking at so I know a person or two to check.

You can contact me by email by clicking the link below:

Jim Byram

The problem is with tags exported as individual attributes when the memo is excluded. Not just the memo but the entire GEDCOM line is removed from the output.

1 RELI Christian

2 DATE (some date)

2 PLACE (some place)

2 SOUR (some citation)

"Christian" is from the memo field. You exclude it and the output should be:

1 RELI

2 DATE (some date)

2 PLACE (some place)

2 SOUR (some citation)

What is happening is that the 1 RELI line is dropped from the output.

If the Religion tag had only an excluded memo and no subordinate data at all, then it would be correct to drop the entire line.