Mike Talbot

TMG6.07 Family Group Sheet

On my TMG, when multiple spouses exist, the FGS generates as follows:

subject (lacking marriage data on spouse1)

..spouse1

....kids1

subject (lacking marriage data on spouse2)

..spouse2

....kids2

subject (lacking marriage data on spouse3)

..spouse3

....kids3

etc.

Is there a way to avoid the verbose redundancy (with confusing marriage data) and generate a FGS as follows?

subject (with marriage data on all spouses)

..spouse1

....kids1

..spouse2

....kids2

..spouse3

....kids3

etc.

I hand correct each FGS that I generate using MSWord. But this is time consuming, error prone and demoralising when you have several to do.

Thank you,

Mike

A Family Group Sheet is, by definition, the record of a "family." A family, by long-standing convention, consists of two parents and their children. TMG observes this convention when it produces FGSs. TMG does not create a "FGS" as you describe.

A Family Group Sheet is, by definition, the record of a "family." A family, by long-standing convention, consists of two parents and their children. TMG observes this convention when it produces FGSs. TMG does not create a "FGS" as you describe.

Perhaps this definition is more academic than real. Don't we, when we research, think of a "family" as really one generation? When I am searching for my grandparents, let's say, life does not end for my grandfather when my grandmother dies. He may go on to marry someone else, his children then have a step mother, which alters their lives some, -- interaction within the family continues. I'd prefer to have all of this "timeline" (if you will) recorded in one place and not on two separate sheets of paper.

In the above example, the traditional definition of family would mean that grandfather's birth would be on one family sheet and his death on another. I'd prefer it altogether.

I now spend hours combining one generation's family group sheets using MSWord. I'd love to see everything occuring to the father, the mother, and to some extent to the children (if it affects the entire family) in one spot and on one FGS.

JMHO

I respectfully disagree. We agree that you have acurately defined a family.

A family group, by long tradition, consists of a Subject, all Spouses of the Subject and all Children of the Subject.

TMG recognizes this definition by displaying the same. The only difference that I propose is the format. Loose the redundant displays of the major part of the Subject's data which can be quite lonnng.

Best wishes, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Mike

I respectfully disagree. We agree that you have acurately defined a family.

A family group, by long tradition, consists of a Subject, all Spouses of the Subject and all Children of the Subject.

TMG recognizes this definition by displaying the same. The only difference that I propose is the format. Loose the redundant displays of the major part of the Subject's data which can be quite lonnng.

Best wishes, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Mike

For a person with multiple spouses and children of each spouse, how can one specific "family" of the focus person and one specific spouse [plus just their children] be formed?

I've tried the Explorer and Focus Group approaches with just the focus person; just the focus person and the selected spouse; and focus person, selected spouse plus their children. But I still get a FGS Report showing the focus person and all spouses and all children.