loribragg

Find and Replace

Maybe a dumb question: I want to change all of the place names with "United States" to "US". While I had updated my Master Place List at one time with the name spelled out, which I like, it takes up way too much room on a chart and is somehow irritating since it appears so often, even in other reports. I hate to now go back and do each place name over again.

Maybe there is a way to change it just for a chart/report? I have/love John Cardinal's utility program but cannot find a way to do this in that program either.

I have also tried leaving the country name off the chart, which is fine for my husband's family since so far they are all from here(!) but it looks ridiculous for most of my lines since we're Heintz 57 with lots of immigrants.

Any help appreciated.

Lori Bragg

Maybe a dumb question:  I want to change all of the place names with "United States" to "US".  While I had updated my Master Place List at one time with the name spelled out, which I like, it takes up way too much room on a chart and is somehow irritating since it appears so often, even in other reports.  I hate to now go back and do each place name over again.

When you open up the Master Place List, there is a Replace button on the right hand side that should do what you need. Personally, I just leave the country blank for places in the USA.

Personally, I just leave the country blank for places in the USA.

I always put in USA where relevant. But then the majority of my research is in England.

:lol:

When you open up the Master Place List, there is a Replace button on the right hand side that should do what you need. Personally, I just leave the country blank for places in the USA.

As I understand this function, if I put United States in the left column and blank or US in the right column only those records with all other fields blank will be changed. Is that right? And if I put a state and country in on the left and only blank or US on the right I lose the state in all those records. I think I've made that mistake before???? There are just too many combinations to change them that way. That's why I was looking at the utility but that doesn't seem to work for places.

Lori

Lori

Fields with no entry in the Search (left) column and no entry in the Replace (right) column will be left alone.

Help recommends you BACKUP your project before you do this. I have a scratch copy of my project I use to test things like this on.

In your case you'd enter United States in the Country field in the search (left) column, and US in the replace (right) column.

Lori

Fields with no entry in the Search (left) column and no entry in the Replace (right) column will be left alone.

Help recommends you BACKUP your project before you do this. I have a scratch copy of my project I use to test things like this on.

In your case you'd enter United States in the Country field in the search (left) column, and US in the replace (right) column.

Thanks. I should have thought of using a scratch copy. I could easily see what it was doing. Thanks, Lori