david_hall

Custom tags and language.

David Hall wrote to John Cardinal

>>>

Just to let you know that I checked your language suggestion and you were spot-on (as we say in this part of the world).

My project was first created using TMG-US. I "converted" to TMG-UK when is became available and added custom tags.

These custom tags appear to have been built with English-UK.

As a trial I added English-US sentences to one of the custom tags, while (of course) retailing the English-US sentences

The position now is that if I set the SS language to English UK this custom tags doesn't print, but if I set the SS language to English-US it does.

I don't understand why this should be.java script:emoticon(':(')

What's the best long term direction - notwithstanding that it involve more work - for this primarily UK based project?

Should I try to make the entire project English-UK and ensure that every single tag has an English-UK sentence for each role?

Is there a better long term approach?

John Cardinal replied to David Hall

>>>

SS can't tell a custom tag from a standard tag, so it's not that.

It's probably a language-related issue.

Have you defined sentences for the tags in the proper language? For example, if you are using EnglishUK, then you should define EnglishUK sentences for the tags and set the SS property Language.Sentence Language to "EnglishUK".

David Hall originally wrote to John Cardinal

>>>

I'm having trouble including the data from custom tags defined in TMG.

I've created custom tags for UK census 1851, UK census 1861 etc. Sentence structure looks ok and I've ensured the correct "include tag" boxes are checked in SS. I can't see that I'm suppressing data inclusion (living people etc).

Non-custom tag of census data is being included just fine but custom tag data is not. By changing a custom tag to a non-custom tag the data is correctly included in the SS HTML.

David Hall wrote to John Cardinal

Should I try to make the entire project English-UK and ensure that every single tag has an English-UK sentence for each role?

Is there a better long term approach?

David,

You could use John's TMGUtility and export the EnglishUS sentences out and then import them back into EnglishUK. This would overwrite any EnglishUK sentences you have created but ensure that you have sentences in EnglishUK for all your tags.

I also suggested that David should investigate using the Language.Default to English option in Second Site. That way, if an EnglishUK sentence does not exist for a particular tag, SS will use the EnglishUS sentence for it.