pehedges

Source Info in Gedcom Export

Hi,

I'm trying to determine if it is possible to modify the Source information that is exported to Gedcom 5.5 in TMG.

Currently, when a Source is exported, the Source Element fields are added to the Title, creating a very descriptive, but too revealing Source entry.

For example, an exported Source for a Birth Registration includes the Title, Record Type, Name of Person and File Number fields from the Source.

Here is an example from the Gedcom file (name changed)

0 @S38@ SOUR

1 TITL John Smith, Birth Certificate, Record Type: Birth Certificate, Nam

2 CONC e Of Person: John Smith, File Number: #1-89-30-44903

1 ABBR John Smith, Birth Certificate

1 PUBL December 26, 1989

1 REPO @R17@

Can I control the exported data in TMG somehow to include just the Title and not the additional info? I'm importing this into TNG and, even with "Do Not Display Living" set, the Sources appear and provide too much info.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Paul

Paul.

Thats a very interesting question, as I oftem have to edit the Gedcom file using Notepad, before I submit mine to an external web site.

I would be interested to see your replies etc.

David

I'm trying to determine if it is possible to modify the Source information that is exported to Gedcom 5.5 in TMG.

Can I control the exported data in TMG somehow to include just the Title and not the additional info?  I'm importing this into TNG and, even with "Do Not Display Living" set, the Sources appear and provide too much info.

Basically, the answer is no. The data that you record for the source will be exported and GEDCOM provides little leeway as to how that data can be exported. The data has to go somewhere and if GEDCOM doesn't provide an appropriate tag, the data goes to the TITL tag.

Basically, the answer is no. The data that you record for the source will be exported and GEDCOM provides little leeway as to how that data can be exported. The data has to go somewhere and if GEDCOM doesn't provide an appropriate tag, the data goes to the TITL tag.

I guess I was surprised that the Source elements were being concatenated to the Source Title field and assumed it was something TMG added to be helpful. It would be helpful if there was a setting for Basic Source that only included the actual Source Title Element and Verbose Source that included all of the Elements in the Source Title.

I guess I was surprised that the Source elements were being concatenated to the Source Title field and assumed it was something TMG added to be helpful.  It would be helpful if there was a setting for Basic Source that only included the actual Source Title Element and Verbose Source that included all of the Elements in the Source Title.

There is no 'basic' source. There is the source data that you recorded and that is what is exported. The labels are added to explain the data. Otherwise, different data types would be combined with no means of understanding what the data is.

This is a matter of being able to record detailed source data in TMG and the GEDCOM source record specs having no way to accomodate the data with the same sort of breakdown. The end point of the export is to export your data in a meaningful way, not just a part of your data, and to do it within the default GEDCOM source record structure.

Thanks Jim and Terry for the extra information.

The implementation of this in TMG makes sense. Hopefully, there is a future solution. For now, I'll edit the sources for living people from either the Gedcom file or after it is uploaded to TNG.

Paul