dsc8w

People alive at Census dates etc

Dear One and All.

I have been trying to solve this problem for sometime.

I would like to create a Report under "List of People/Persons" who would have been alive and hence likely to be included in a Census return but to be able to exclude those for whom I already have a Citation linked to that specific Census date.

I have already a system for finding those alive but cannot seem to link-in the criteria for those persons that have a Census citation.

Is this possible.

Kind Regards

David

David

I must admit I am not very hot on filters, but could you add the condition:

Census No of citations is not less than 1

Les

I would like to create a Report under "List of People/Persons" who would have been alive and hence likely to be included in a Census return but to be able to exclude those for whom I already have a Citation linked to that specific Census date.

I have already a system for finding those alive but cannot seem to link-in the criteria for those persons that have a Census citation.

Is this possible.

Yes, probably. But to be sure, we need to know how you have census records recorded. Is there a census tag for people you have found in the census? If so, the standard one or a custom one? If custom, what is the "Label" of the census tag?

If there is no tag, is the census cited on one or more tags? Always on the Name tag? How is the census source identified?

With this sort of information we can suggest filter terms to solve the problem.

Yes, probably. But to be sure, we need to know how you have census records recorded. Is there a census tag for people you have found in the census? If so, the standard one or a custom one? If custom, what is the "Label" of the census tag?

If there is no tag, is the census cited on one or more tags? Always on the Name tag? How is the census source identified?

With this sort of information we can suggest filter terms to solve the problem.

Terry. I hope I am understanding what you are trying to ask me, so I will explain as best I can, what my actions are.

Firstly: I am using the version 6.07 standard US style and I use the Standard census tag, and then quote a specific date eg: 03 Apr 1881 and after having completed the details etc of the actual address where the person was living on that day, I then pick my 1881 Census Source and fill-in the relative info etc.

My problem revolves around the present format of my Report which finds everyone who may have been alive on that day and lets say it says there are 150 persons from my database who satisfy the criteria, but over a period of time I may have already found lets say 100 of them. I want to be able to produce a report showing the 50 that I have yet to resolve.

I hope my answer is clear and precise.

David

Yes, your answer is very clear, and to the point. :)

I can't figure out a way to include a tag not in existence in a List of People filter directly. So I'd suggest a more roundabout approach.

You could create a custom flag, say CEN1881, with values of N,Y. Then, use the List of People report, with a filter of:

Census... Year Is exactly 1881

and set the secondary output to change the CEN1881 flag to Y for those people in the list. Now you have a flag that marks who you have found in this census.

Now, use your existing filter for identifying those alive at that time, and add this term, connected with AND:

CEN1881 = equals N

That should exclude everyone who you have already found from the results.

If you need more details on any of this, just ask.