Helmut Leininger

wishlist: date format

Hi,

I would like to have the possibility to enter dates in the format from x to y or maybe between. This would be useful for profession, residence or other lasting events.

Is there a chance to get this?

Regards

Helmut

Hi,

I would like to have the possibility to enter dates in the format from x to y or maybe between. This would be useful for profession, residence or other lasting events.

Is there a chance to get this?

Regards

Helmut

You already can

Enter:

From 1950 to 1960

Between 1950 and 1960

From Sep 1950 to Nov 1950

Between Sep 1950 and Nov 1950

etc., etc., etc,....

I agree you can. I use the dash.

1st date - 2nd date

I am actually missing the possibility of using the ca. in the examples mentioned above. For example: ca. 1650-ca. 1680

Ken.

The limitation is that you can only have 1 modifer in a date, and the Between and From/To are encoded as modifiers along with c., say, before, and after.

Note that From/To means something different then between, from/to implies that an event of extended duration begins on the first date and ends on the second, while a between date says the event happened at a unique point in time that was somewhere between to two dates. For a event like residence, a from/to event defines the time period when the person resided there, defining both the move in and move out date. A between date (like any single date) defines the point in time when the person started residing at that location.

I try to be careful with tags like that, since a lot of my residences are based on evidence that they lived at a given location at a given time (with little evidence for when they actually moved there), most my residence tags use the before modifier. It would be nice to be able to make the tags something like from before xxxx to after yyyy to express all I know, but that currently is not available.

It would be nice to be able to make the tags something like from before xxxx to after yyyy to express all I know, but that currently is not available.

This is also available but would be recorded as an irregular date. You would then use a sort date to place in the correct sequence of events.

This is also available but would be recorded as an irregular date. You would then use a sort date to place in the correct sequence of events.

Unfortunately, irregular dates do not show up on display that can only handle a "structured date". That term comes from UFT, which had a third user-modifiable date that could have the form "ca 12 Jan 1900" and which is used when the "free-form" ("irregular") date cannot be used. The structured date can be different from the sort date, if you wish.

UFT is quite good at decifering a free form date to create reasonable structured and sort date values, if you let it fill in those fields. It is just another way to let users produce various reports the way they want them to appear.

Pierce

Guest PhilDee
Unfortunately, irregular dates do not show up on display that can only handle a "structured date". That term comes from UFT, which had a third user-modifiable date that could have the form "ca 12 Jan 1900" and which is used when the "free-form" ("irregular") date cannot be used. The structured date can be different from the sort date, if you wish.

UFT is quite good at decifering a free form date to create reasonable structured and sort date values, if you let it fill in those fields. It is just another way to let users produce various reports the way they want them to appear.

Pierce

Pierce,

The date and the sort date in TMG can be different. By default when you enter a data into the Date field the same data is entered into the Sort date field but you can always change the sort date without changing the contents of the Date field. In short you can enter an irregular date in the Date field and a regular or, to use your term, 'structured' date in the Sort Date field.

If a date is irregular in TMG the contents of the field always display when the contents of the field are supposed to. Irregular dates cannot be used in date calulations like age or age at death. Otherwise they show up where they should.

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support