maripaul

Can An Audio File linked to an Exhibit Play in Second Source

I have audio files linked to jpgs in the exhibit log and they play just fine in TMG. I'd like them to play when the jpg is selected in the generated html file from Second Site. If I'm reading and interpreting the Second Site Help file correctly, I should be able to do this. When I've selected the linked audio file option in Second Site nothing happens - no sound out.

Any thoughts, comments or help are appreciatted.

Thanks in advance.

Paul Lund

Hillsboro, Oregon

I think Second Site creates an Icon in the person's narrative, and when clicked the audio file will play, assuming the user has a media player capable of playing the file type. In FireFox when I click on such an icon I get a dialog box that asks me if I want to open it with the program I've set as the default media player or save it to disk. :ph34r:

I think Second Site creates an Icon in the person's narrative, and when clicked the audio file will play, assuming the user has a media player capable of playing the file type. In FireFox when I click on such an icon I get a dialog box that asks me if I want to open it with the program I've set as the default media player or save it to disk. :ph34r:

Thanks for the response. Audio files alone, and even movies (mpg and wmv) do as you suggest and work fine in the html file generated by Second Site.. The problem is with jpg files that have audio files linked to the jpg (photo) - no sound or evidence of anything to give the option of playing an attached or link audio file.

Paul lund

Hillsboro, Oregon

John

Right click an exhibit, access the Properties menu, second tab is Audio. Click the Load button, navigate to folder where an audio file is stored. Personally I can't get it to actually play the audio file. I get a Window Media graphic, with an error message at the bottom "An unknown error has occurred." I didn't know this existed in TMG either. :ph34r:

Paul,

You may have discovered an option in TMG that I overlooked. How have you linked the audio file to the JPG?

John,

As Glen mentioned:

"Right click an exhibit, access the Properties menu, second tab is Audio. Click the Load button, navigate to folder where an audio file is stored." Works like a champ for me in TMG on 2 PCs - one uses XP media Center and the other is XP home. Both are current with Microsoft updates. It takes WAV, MP3, & WMA files.

I'd like to see Second Site bring the audio file used with the jpg in TMG over to the HTML file created by SS.

Thanks John.

Paul Lund

Hillsboro, Oregon

I see what you are doing now. It will not work in Second Site. I will look into it for a future release, but multiple external files attached to a single exhibit will be a signficant challenge for Second Site and so I suggest you consider a different approach.

I see what you are doing now. It will not work in Second Site. I will look into it for a future release, but multiple external files attached to a single exhibit will be a signficant challenge for Second Site and so I suggest you consider a different approach.

Thanks for the response John. I hope to see the capability in a possible future release. In the mean time I'll follow your advice and do something different. I use a digital voice recorder to capture the actual voice of relatives. Older ones, or the younger ones going into combat. I link the digital audio file of the voice to a photo of the person. Makes for some very impressive results.

Thanks again for your response.

Paul Lund

Hillsboro, Oregon