Shaundm

Moving 3 dataset sets into 1

I have decided to move my 3 data sets into 1. I then want to use a flag within the new data set which says 1,2,3, depending which data set the person has come from.

Am having terrible troubles doing this, any suggestions please

As I recall, when you merge Data Sets, the custom flags in each one are kept, and the people who were not part of the DS in which the flag originally exited are assigned the default value of the flag.

So, I'd suggest this method:

1. For each DS, create a custom flag. For example, for DS #1, create a flag "One", with values Y,N. This will set the value Y for everyone in the DS. Close Flag Manager and allow the flag to be set.

2. Open Flag manager, and change the values for the flag to N,Y. This makes N the default, but doesn't change those already set. Thus in the merge, the people from the other two DS's will have the flag set to N.

3. Do the same for the other two DS's - create a Flag "Two" and " Flag "Three."

4. Merge the three DSs into one.

Now, in the merged DS, create a new flag with the three values you want to use. Say it's called "Source" and has values N,1,2,3, where N will be assigned for all people you add after the merge.

Next, use the Secondary Output of the List of People report to set this new flag based on the three old ones. Use a Filtered Group, with a filter like:

One = Y

Then, on the Secondary Output tab of Options, tell it to set the new flag, Source, to 1.

Run the report, and allow the flag to be set. Change the filter to the second old flag, and change the Secondary Output to set the Source flag to 2. Repeat for the third flag.

Then delete the three flags that came from the three DS's.

You could do something similiar by noting the ID#'s and filter on them, but this seems more foolproof.