Admin

Backup with a custom toolbar button

You can perform a backup with just ONE click. You can add a button to the custom toolbar which performs a backup without stopping to ask you any questions. On the Custom Toolbar Manager (View > Toolbars > Customize), go to the end of the right-hand list and find "Run a backup of a specific name." Highlight it and click on ", the custom toolbar button will be created. Now you can back up with one click!

This tip was originally published in the Wholly Genes Newsletter, 17 May 2004.

You can perform a backup with just ONE click.  You can add a button to the custom toolbar which performs a backup without stopping to ask you any questions. On the Custom Toolbar Manager (View > Toolbars > Customize), go to the end of the right-hand list and find "Run a backup of a specific name." Highlight it and click on "<<Add" to create the new toolbar button. Then select the type of backup that should be run when the new toolbar button is clicked. Also be sure to check the box to "Bypass the setup options and run the specified configuration without changes." Now, when you click on <OK>, the custom toolbar button will be created. Now you can back up with one click!

This tip was originally published in the Wholly Genes Newsletter, 17 May 2004.

I like this feature. But one issue. In the backup Wizard, Step 2:Data, there are 2 options - "date & time" and "backup number". I have been using the "backup number" option but I have to select it every time I backup. The "date & time" option appears to be the default and it is also used in conjunction with the custom button. Is there a way to make the "backup number" option the default so that it can be used by the custom button?

Tom Malek

But one issue. In the backup Wizard, Step 2:Data, there are 2 options - "date & time" and "backup number". I have been using the "backup number" option but I have to select it every time I backup. The "date & time" option appears to be the default and it is also used in conjunction with the custom button. Is there a way to make the "backup number" option the default so that it can be used by the custom button?

Yes. Since you can't change the default backup configurations, you need to create a custom configuration, then attach that to the button.

You create the custom configuration by choosing "save as a new Configuration" on Step 1, and entering a name for it in the field below that option. Then, step through the backup, selecting all the options you want saved, and make the backup.

Now specify that "backup" when you create the button, or go back and change the "backup" used by your current button it you've already created it.