Admin

Use the Project Explorer

The Project Explorer is a very helpful window but it is not open in the Standard Layout so a lot of users never discover it. There is a button on the toolbar (just to the right of the yellow ones) to open the Project Explorer. Then you can resize, sort, filter, and scroll the window. Click on a plus sign to "drill down" through descendents.

This tip was originally published in the Wholly Genes Newsletter, 22 December 2003.

The Project Explorer is a very helpful window but it is not open in the Standard Layout so a lot of users never discover it. There is a button on the toolbar (just to the right of the yellow ones) to open the Project Explorer. Then you can resize, sort, filter, and scroll the window. Click on a plus sign to "drill down" through descendents.

You can also set it to have more than one line, so if you want to have the ID number and the dates a person was born and died, you can read all that information. Then open up the descendants, and this becomes a very handy feature when entering wills or census witnesses, because their ID numbers are right there on the screen for you. B)

This tip was originally published in the Wholly Genes Newsletter, 22 December 2003.

I don't see two yellow buttons on my toolbar. I'm using v7.

Neil,

It depends on which toolbars you have active, but I don't see them either in the current Standard Layout. But here's a screenshot of the Toolbars visible in the Standard layout, with the Project Explorer button outlined in red:Capture2.jpg