Shaundm

Sentence structure - Making it not occur if a flag is set to N

I have a sentence structure that I would like not to print/occur if a flag value is set to N. Is this possible?

The reason is that I have the tag 1841 UK census added to every person. The sentance structure if fine when I have found them in the census. However when I have not yet found them in the census, as the tag is still there it comes up with the basic data (He was recorded on the 1841 UK census). I therfore do not want this visible, as I have not found him.

My settings are: [P] <was recorded on the|and [PO] were> 1841 UK Census <[M]> <[D]> <[L]>

I do not want to remove the tag as it reminds me i need to find him.

Any suggestions

Thanks

No, you cannot control the sentence structure with a flag (except the Living flag - but that won't help here).

I'd suggest you use Roles. For example, create a Role of NotFound with a sentence structure of an exclusion mark. For those you want to not print, give them the Role of NotFound, and nothing will print in narrative reports.

You can also set the Role to show in the Person View (on the Other tab of the Tag Type Definition) as a visual reminder in the Person View as well.

If you haven't used Roles, there is a tutorial on my website - link below.

No, you cannot control the sentence structure with a flag (except the Living flag - but that won't help here).

I'd suggest you use Roles. For example, create a Role of NotFound with a sentence structure of an exclusion mark. For those you want to not print, give them the Role of NotFound, and nothing will print in narrative reports.

You can also set the Role to show in the Person View (on the Other tab of the Tag Type Definition) as a visual reminder in the Person View as well.

If you haven't used Roles, there is a tutorial on my website - link below.

Thanks, looks like I'll be using your site a lot more, I'll need to re-enter all of my data (about 2000 names) to get in the correct format.

I'll need to re-enter all of my data (about 2000 names) to get in the correct format.

That sounds harder than necessary to me. Instead, I'd suggest creating a "Cleaned" flag and use it with an Accent, as described in my Accent article. Then go through and make the necessary edits person by person.

I would definitely recomend Terry's site, I found it invaluable when i was a beginner (not much changed there) to genealogy and how to use TMG. I have also used his accents and sentences.

Ben

I would definitely recomend Terry's site, I found it invaluable when i was a beginner (not much changed there) to genealogy and how to use TMG. I have also used his accents and sentences.

Ben

I've been on Terry's site all day using and learning about sentence structures. Its great now I understand it a bit more. His site is very useful, now under my favourites!