What might be the best way to handle a "Guardian" situation in TMG? It crops up several times in my data, the most notable example being the following: My 8th great-grandfather Arthur Turner died in 1666 in the same year as his second wife. They left 5 children, who were the product of his 2 marriages. The oldest was about 15 and the youngest probably about 5 or 6. They were placed with 5 separate guardians, in at least 1 case a godfather, in other cases friends, and in 1 or 2 cases of people of unknown relationship.

When I brought my data in from Family Tree Maker created "Note" tags for these events (I haven't looked back at FTM, but I suspect they were probably notes there as well).

Is this the best way to handle this in TMG? In all 5 cases I know the name of the individual that each child was placed with as guardian, although at this point I don't know a whole lot more about them. Should I consider using a tag that would show a relationship between the child and his guardian? And if so, which tag should I use, or do I need to create a new tag to handle this?

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

This is a basic reply as there are others that can give a more detailed answer

There are adoption tags, foster tags, god parent tags, step parent tags and parent other tags. There is also note tags.

Also it is fairly easy to create your own tags.

Go to Add Tag screen (F4), click on ADD, give it a label - guardian, for example, select the parent/child relationship radio button. The just create you rsentences if you wish.

I would perhaps use Parent Other tags.

Ben

Here's how I handle it.

All roles use the same sentence. You will need to create roles called Deceased Parent, Ward, Wards, and guardian.

[:CR:][:TAB:][R:Deceased Parent] has died, leaving <[R:Ward] a ward> <[R:Wards] wards> of the state. [R:guardian] was appointed as guardian <[D]> <[L]>. <[M]>

I make Deceased Parent P1, guardian P2, and list the ward or wards as witnesses.

Someday I hope to see a witness window in TMG and if so, then these wards would show in that witness window for the guardian.

<FINGERS CROSSED>