spydrsrch

Changing names

During recent research we have discovered several ancestors for whom we had been given names years ago, are not actually correct. Several last names are comletely differnet than whatt they had been thought to be. What is the best way to repair this problem?

Can I delet the individual and add back a new one? Do I simply change the surname? I have not tried to do anything in this regard as yet.

The incorrect name may or may no actually represent a real person (no longer living,) but definitely not part of the family.

I'd add a Name-Var tag, then set the one you consider correct as primary.

In this particular case, it was either someone's faulty memory or a piece of infromation incorrectly passed down. Since I now have definitive records tracing the line through church records, the original name is not valid in any way. it would be unclear whether the original person even ever existed. Keeping the name would seem to clutter up the records and could lead to confusion in the future. Any thoughts about that?

In this particular case, it was either someone's faulty memory or a piece of infromation incorrectly passed down. Since I now have definitive records tracing the line through church records, the original name is not valid in any way. it would be unclear whether the original person even ever existed. Keeping the name would seem to clutter up the records and could lead to confusion in the future. Any thoughts about that?

Terry Reigel has written a wonderful article "Using Name Variations" ( http://tmg.reigelridge.com/name-variations.htm ) and near it's end there is a section "Some Thoughts on Using Name Variations". I would kindly suggest to read it and I am quite sure that this is exactly what you are looking for. :)

I agree to him: Don't record everything and anything just because TMG with it's powerful tools allows you to so. Especially not in cases which you describe as [snap] .. it was either someone's faulty memory or a piece of infromation incorrectly passed down.. [snap]