Newbie with apologies!

If you have a tag or citation etc to apply to multiple people, how do you do that please?

The copy & paste facility appears only to work on single field entries or am I missing something (obvious)?

Newbie with apologies!

If you have a tag or citation etc to apply to multiple people, how do you do that please?

The copy & paste facility appears only to work on single field entries or am I missing something (obvious)?

You can enter multiple people to a particular Tag as Principal and Witnesses (a Witness in TMG is anyone associated with that Tag) but you need to be in Advanced mode for this. So for example in a Will Tag you can have the Testator as Principal and executors and beneficiaries as Witnesses, even thogh they may not have witnessed the event in the true sense. If that Tag has a source then that source applies to the Principal(s) as well as the Witnesses. You may find it useful to use Roles as this enables you to set up specific sentences for each Role.

As a Newbie ( A big welcome to this superb program and please remember we were all Newbies once) the power of TMG can seem quite daunting, but the best way forward is to try things, preferably on a small test project, so if you get unexpected results you don't damage your main project. When I started I found the book "Getting the Most out of the Master Genealogist" to be of great help. The tutorials in Terry's TMG Tips are also invaluable and I am always finding some new wrinkles there to try. You can access them at:

http://tmg.reigelridge.com/

Les

Newbie with apologies!

You can also use Copy Tag (on the Add menu).

--------

From Help:

Sometimes you may have two or more events which are very similar. Instead of adding a new tag, you may want to copy one which is very similar and then edit it.

To copy a tag:

1. Highlight the tag to be copied.

2. Select Add > Copy tag.

An exact copy of the tag, including all witnesses, exhibits, and research tasks, will be placed in the Tag Box and may then be edited as needed.

Wholly Genes, Inc.

---------

Say you want the same tag for 5 people; select Copy Tag 5 times. In the Detail view there will now be 6 copies of the tag - the original and 5 copies. The copies are identical, including the citation(s). Go into each copy and change the ID# of the principal to that of the person to whom the tag should be copied and any other information which may pertain to the other person. OK the tag to close it and it will then appear in the Detail view of the other person.

Virginia

Hi

I'm kind of a newbie here myself, but I'm going to make an educated guess that you can't edit multiple tags at once within TMG itself. I don't believe the software currently has any mechanism for simultaneous record editing. Even though you might have made say, 6 copies of a tag and changed the ID numbers for the principals to assign them to other people, they are then 7 tags attached to 7 different individuals and don't have anything in common other than the fact that they were originally created from 1 tag. For that matter, they may no longer actually be identical, because you could have made modifications to any of the fields in any of them. I think they will have to be individually edited within TMG. I can't imagine how TMG would ever be able to know which "group" of tags you wanted to edit at the same time.

If you have the need to make global modifications to data in TMG, you might want to check out John Cardinal's great TMG Utility program.

Mike

If I then need to edit a multiple tag, say, can I do them all at once?

Do you mean multiple copies of the same tag, or a single tag with multiple people attached?

If you use the Copy Tag proceedure suggested, you have multiple individual tags. You now would have to edit each of them individually.

But if you added other people as Witnesses, you still have only a single tag, even though it's visible in the person veiw of each person. In this case, open it in any of those appearences and edit it - you only have to do it once since it's the same tag wherever you see it.