206bones

calendar creation / list of dates

I am somewhat new to TMG - I still consider myself at the beginner stage anyhow. So please keep this in mind with answers. Thanks. :-)

Ultimately, I would like to create some calendars for Christmas, to keep family members interested in the family genealogy throughout the year. I'd like to use various old photos as graphics & have current birthdates & anniversaries in 1 font and birthdates, anniversaries, & death dates of deceased members in a different font. Thus far, I do not see any way to directly transfer information to do this, so I'm thinking of manually inputting information from 1 ancestry line into a calendar so I can print it. So...how can I print a list of names with birth, marriage, death dates for ancestors of 1 person? :(

THANK YOU!

Use a List of People report, with a filter like:

Is an ancestor	 of ID#	 [?]

(Assuming you want to make these for several people - the [?] causes the program to ask you for the ID# each time you run the report. If you only want to do it once, just enter the person's ID# there instead.)

Then, in options, go to the Output Columns tab and specify the output you want. I'd think you might want to include:

Name Group*tag;Last,Given Names

Birth Group*tag;Date

Marriage Group*tag;Date

Death Group*tag;Date

Note that if the person had more than one marriage, only one will appear in the output.

You should take a look at my "On This Day" (OTD) program which can create an HTML calendar from your TMG data. Given that you want to add photos and you probably want to dress it up a little, you could edit the calendar OTD produced. It will save you the manual effort of creating BMDB dates, etc. If you intend to print the calendar, you could import the HTML pages into MS Word or some other word processor and modify them there.

See On This Day

This [OTC] looks like what I'm looking for!!! :D But instead of getting ALL of the ancestors on the calendar, how do I make a new database with just ancestors & descendants of 1 person?

Thank you!!!

This [OTC] looks like what I'm looking for!!! :D But instead of getting ALL of the ancestors on the calendar, how do I make a new database with just ancestors & descendants of 1 person?

Thank you!!!

I have not used John's OTD, but he writes such useful programs I expected there would be a way. I note from the version history of OTD that from version 1.1 he included "Added filtering based on flag field values" Therefore, I would suggest that you create a custom flag that would indicate what people you wanted to include, and create the calendar filtering on that flag. Since TMG allows setting flags as secondary output from various reports, this should be pretty easy.

Right. OTD can filter the calendar by a TMG flag value, so create a custom flag in TMG, set the value of the flag using a TMG "List of People" report that only includes the people you want in the calendar, and then tell OTD to use the flag. That approach is much better than creating a susbset database.

OK. I thought I was good with computers but I guess I need to go at the VERY beginner stage for TMG. I have tried using OTD, based on the recommendations, & I get no where. The 1st tme I ran it I got up to 10 events per day, based on the number of people in my genealogy. Now I get 0.

One question - for ancestor or descendant interest, the values are set at 0, 1, 2, 3. I don't follow... I understand the other flag values.

Will you please tell me in very simple terms, for someone who does not understand TMG [yet], how to create a calendar based on descendants of 1 person, say #555?

A big thank you to those who have tried to help me. I now see that I need to step back to learn the program more so I can take better advantage of all, or more, that TMG has to offer.

Again, thanks,

Cindy

Cindy,

It's a two-step process. First, you need to have a Flag available to use, and generally it's best to create a custom one for just that purpose. So open Flag Manger (File menu) and create a new flag, with a name of, say, Calendar. Give it values of N,Y -- that makes N, for no, the default value.

Second, set that flag to Y for those you want to include in your calendar. Do this with the List of People Report. Set that report to use a Filtered Group, and create a filter like:

Is a descendant of ID# 555

Make sure nothing is checked in the "then add" section at the bottom of the page. Close the filter screen.

Now, go to Options, and the Secondary Output tab. There, choose "Set a flag, and tell it to set your Calendar flag to Y.

Close Options, and run the report. Say Yes when asked if the flag is to be set.

You are done with setting the flag. Now go to OTD and tell it to use that flag.

Thank you very much!!! I FINALLY got it! :rolleyes:

I hope someone else can learn from this post as well, and take advantage of John's great add-on to TMG.

Again, thank you to all who responded.

Cindy