MMj

Tag Type Definition Form

There is a rather large Rebuild all Sentences button on the Tag Type Definition form. I have not touched it yet, because I am uncertain as to exactly what the words all and rebuilt refer to in this context. My assumption is that it means that all sentences for all of the roles in the tag that is currently being edited will be rebuilt. Is this correct? And rebuilt? Does that mean set back to the TMG standard default sentences? I took a pretty good look through the user manual and also went to the index of the TMG help system, but didn't find anything talking about the button (but that doesn't mean I didn't miss it). Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by MMj

I agree that this is confusing. In the Help file, under "Tag Type Definition: Roles and Sentences" scroll down to "Rebuild All Sentence Structures" and you get

If you have changed the sentence structures in a tag type and then decide that you don't want to keep your changes, you can return them to the defaults that existed when you opened the Tag Type Definition window.

To restore defaults:

Click on [Rebuild All Sentences]. The default sentence structures for all roles in the current language in this tag type will be restored.

NOTE: This applies only to default sentences. Sentences which have been modified in tags will not be changed.

However, this description could make you think of two possibilities. Let us say that you had modified a Tag Type Definition and exited TMG. Now you bring up that Tag Type Definition in a later session. While it is up you modify a sentence. When you click "Rebuild All Sentence Structures" does it

A) "return them to the defaults that existed when you opened the Tag Type Definition window" which reflect your earlier modifications, or

B) does "default sentence structures for all roles in the current language in this tag type will be restored" imply restoring them to the TMG defaults for this tag definition before you modified them in your earlier session.

My testing shows that A) is true, not B).

Edited by mjh

I agree that this is confusing. In the Help file, under "Tag Type Definition: Roles and Sentences" scroll down to "Rebuild All Sentence Structures" and you get However, this description could make you think of two possibilities. Let us say that you had modified a Tag Type Definition and exited TMG. Now you bring up that Tag Type Definition in a later session. While it is up you modify a sentence. When you click "Rebuild All Sentence Structures" does it

A) "return them to the defaults that existed when you opened the Tag Type Definition window" which reflect your earlier modifications, or

B) does "default sentence structures for all roles in the current language in this tag type will be restored" imply restoring them to the TMG defaults for this tag definition before you modified them in your earlier session.

My testing shows that A) is true, not B).

Thanks for the experimentation, Michael. If I had been a betting man, I would have bet on (B), but I actually like (A) better, in that I feel it will be more useful. And after thinking about it, I suppose that makes more sense too, because "original" TMG defaults would only apply to the canned TMG tags, not to all the custom ones that may have been built since.

But just to make sure I understand this clearly: Your read on this is that when you click the button, TMG returns all of the roles in that one tag to the original sentence structures that they had when you opened the Tag Type Definition form, and it has no impact on any other roles in any other tags.

Thanks again for both the experimentation and the clarification.

Mike

Edited by MMj

...But just to make sure I understand this clearly: Your read on this is that when you click the button, TMG returns all of the roles in that one tag to the original sentence structures that they had when you opened the Tag Type Definition form, and it has no impact on any other roles in any other tags.

I am just a user like you, and cannot give the "official" word, but yes, that is what my experimentation seems to show.

Michael

P.S. Note that because you left emoticons enabled (which I typically do not) the text 'B)' (the label for the second possibility) was interpreted as an emoticon. Makes for funny reading

Oops, I hadn't even noticed about the emoticons. Thanks for the tip.

Mike