GenerationGoneBy

Tabular research report

Here is an example of the report I got using my tabular language and what many of you consider source imformation as places. This research report is very helpful when I am trying to prove that something like a will or probate doesn't exist.

Burnett Victory.

Birth

between 1835 and 1837 in TN.

1850 Federal population census:

Enumeration Date: 1850

Enumerated

Head of Household: Burnett Victory.

DEED-Research to be done

between MARCH 1808 and DECEMBER 1875

Bedford County, TN, Deed Index Books 1-2 Mar 1808-Dec 1875

Roll 0106

Tennessee State Library and Archives

Nashville, TN.

1860 Federal population census:

Enumeration Date: 1860

Enumerated in the Fosterville of Rutherford County, TN,

Head of Household: Eli M. Jenkins

Household member: Nancy A or J. Victory

Household member: Armstrong Jenkins

Household member: Joseph Jenkins

Household member: John Jenkins

Household member: Margaret Jenkins

Household member: Burnett Victory.

LETTERS OF ADMINISTRATION-Research to be done

between JANUARY 1861 and FEBRUARY 1894

Bedford County, TN, Probate Records Bonds and Letter of Administration, Exec. 1-2 Jan 1861-Feb 1894,

Roll 0044

Nashville, TN.

Marriage

13 SEPTEMBER 1862 in Williamson County, TN

Groom: Burnett Victory

Bride: Mary F. Vinson

Their bondsman was Isaac Vickery.

WILL-Not Found

between SEPTEMBER 1863 and MARCH 1878

Bedford County, TN, Wills and Inventories Books A-B Sep 1863-Mar 1878

Roll 0099

Nashville, TN.

1870 Federal population census:

Enumeration Date: 26 AUGUST 1870

Enumerated in the 10th Civil District of Bedford County, TN,

Head of Household: Burnett Victory (age 35)

Household member: Mary Victory (age 25)

Household member: John Victory (age 5)

Household member: Margaret Victory (age 4)

Household member: Mary A. Victory (age 1)

Household member: Dicie Victory (age 18)

Household member: George Wright (age 60).

TAXES-Not on Roll

Bedford County, TN, Tax Books Jan 1875-Dec 1877

Nashville, TN

I checked the 10th District.

TAXES-Not on Roll

Nashville, TN

TAXES-Not on Roll

Nashville, TN

SETTLEMENT OF ESTATE-Not Found

between 1885 and 1963

Rutherford County, TN, Settlement Books Index to Settlement Books

Roll 203

Nashville, TN.

GUARDIANSHIP-Not Found

between NOVEMBER 1869 and DECEMBER 1894

Bedford County, TN, Guardian Bonds and Letters Books A-C Nov 1869-Dec 1894

Roll 0056

Nashville, TN.

WILL-Not Found

between JANUARY 1878 and AUGUST 1889

Bedford County, TN, Wills and Inventories Books C-D Jan 1878-Aug 1889

Roll 0100

Nashville, TN. CHANGE MY ROLE.

WILL-Not Found

between 1804 and 1914

Rutherford County, TN, Index to Books 1-28 Index to Books 18-28 County Court Record Books 1-7 1804-1827

Roll 259

Nashville, TN.

between JULY 1865 and JULY 1885

Bedford County, TN, Settlements, Admin./Exec. A-B Jul 1865-Jul 1885,

Roll 0049

Nashville, TN.

WILL-Not Found

between JANUARY 1861 and JULY 1922

Bedford County, TN, Will Books 1-2 Jan 1861-Jul 1922

Roll 0096

Nashville, TN.

WILL-Not Found

between JULY 1890 and FEBRUARY 1901

Bedford County, TN, Wills and Inventories Books C-D E-F Jul 1890-Feb 1901

Roll 0101

Nashville, TN.

between JULY 1865 and JULY 1885

Bedford County, TN, Settlements, Admin./Exec. C-D Nov 1885-Jan 1910,

Roll 0050

Nashville, TN.

Death

between 1888 and 1900

Deceased: Burnett Victory.

LETTERS OF ADMINISTRATION-Research to be done

between JANUARY 1894 and FEBRUARY 1917

Bedford County, TN, Probate Records Bonds and Letter of Administration, Exec. 3-4 Jan 1894- Feb 1917,

Roll 0045

Nashville, TN.

Here is an example of the report I got using my tabular language and what many of you consider source imformation as places. This research report is very helpful when I am trying to prove that something like a will or probate doesn't exist.

Huh? :blink:

Huh? :blink:

I can see where that would be confusing if you had not been following the thread on the TMG mailing list. I would refer you to that thread, but the tmg-l archives are down at the moment. Teresa uses a custom language in TMG to present data in a tabular form, in this case a Task report (research-type log). There are instructions on her web site for a similar report for census data:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/%7...s_using_lan.htm

It's a very creative and ingenious use of the TMG Language feature.

For more information on using the Language feature for special format reports, see Terry's article at:

http://tmg.reigelridge.com/Language-special.htm

Virginia

Pat,

I give examples of how I set up Tablular on my website, see link in my signature line. This is just a continuation of that.

One thing I do different from most TMG users, is I use the Roll of microfilm (TN has thier deeds and will books microfilmed and well cataloged) as my repository. So I have set up places as follows:

L1=County and state

L2= Name of Book as recorded on microfilm roll

L3= Is the roll number as assigned by the archives (you could use the Family History Library here)

L4=The archives

L5=The city the archives is located in.

L7=The archives state.

Then each tag has several research roles:

TO DO LIST: Those are the ones where you see it says Research to be done.

NOT FOUND: Those are the ones where you see not found.

If I search the roll of film and find the record, I change the role to the appropriate one that will print in English2, my normal language, and I change the place to record as any normal TMG tag would.

There is one caviat to doing this. Places where a field is more than 100 characters will NOT optimize. So when I have a book that is more than 100 characters in length, I end up with a lot of the same place in my MPL. I also attach a research task to this tag, so if I do find him, I still have the task attached to the tag.

The sentences for TO DO LIST and NOT FOUND are -- in English2. The only time they will print is when I change the language of the report to TABULAR.

If you don't understand languages, I do recommend that you read Terry's site first, as it explains how to do what I am showing you. I am just showing you one of the many things TMG can be made to do if you are willing to put the time and effort into the many features it has.

Thanks, Virginia. I had looked at Teresa's site and somehow missed this.

Judith

I can see where that would be confusing if you had not been following the thread on the TMG mailing list. I would refer you to that thread, but the tmg-l archives are down at the moment. Teresa uses a custom language in TMG to present data in a tabular form, in this case a Task report (research-type log). There are instructions on her web site for a similar report for census data:

I forgot to give you an example of the sentence structure I am using fo rthe TO DO LIST roles.

[:CR:][:CR:][bOLD:]LETTERS OF ADMINISTRATION-Research to be done[:BOLD][:CR:][D][:CR:][L1], [L2][:CR:][L3][:CR:][L4][:CR:][L5], [L7]

Theresa,

Many thanks for the detailed reply.

Whew! It seems as if my addled old brain will have to take a rest from sifting data, and instead concentrate on TMG reports - a subject I have neglected. Up to now I have fudged things by tampering with sentences.

As you suggest, I'll visit Terry's site.

Kind regards,

Pat

To attempt a broad overview of the process...

Teresa is making a very clever use of the Language feature, which was designed for the more convention purpose of allowing TMG to used in different languages.

As many users know, narrative reports use Sentence Structures as templates to assemble the various data elements you enter into narrative text. So, the Sentence for the Birth tag might say something like (uncoded) "Get the name from the primary name tag, add the text 'was born,' add the date if entered, then add the place, if entered." This generates the narrative text we expect in the narrative reports.

TMG allows a separate Sentence Structure for each language. Generally, these would be "real" languages, like English, German, French, Dutch, etc. But TMG is equally happy with invented languages, like Teresa's "Tabular."

The Sentences for real languages would simply substitute for the phrases like "was born" a similar phrase in that language, and perhaps alter punctuation or word order if appropriate. But Teresa's Tabular does something very different. It's not intended to generate narrative text at all, but rather to create a table-like list of data items. Thus the sentence she shows above contains bolded labels and lots of carriage return codes to generate the table-like output she wants for this purpose.

Since she does this in a separate "language," the normal narrative Sentences are still available to be used for ordinary narratives, while the tabular format can be used by telling the report generator to use the Tabular Sentences. Depending on the application, you may or may not output the same tags in both formats. A Census tag, for example, would likely be included in either format. But a special "to do" tag may only be used in the tabular format.

Details for setting up a custom language are on my site, as shown in the links above, and lots more on the creation of Sentences for his purpose on Teresa's.

To attempt a broad overview of the process...

Teresa is making a very clever use of the Language feature, which was designed for the more convention purpose of allowing TMG to used in different languages.

TMG allows a separate Sentence Structure for each language. Generally, these would be "real" languages, like English, German, French, Dutch, etc. But TMG is equally happy with invented languages, like Teresa's "Tabular."

Details for setting up a custom language are on my site, as shown in the links above, and lots more on the creation of Sentences for his purpose on Teresa's.

Thanks, Terry. I rather thought that she was referring to the "languages" area, which I had read about on your site, and filed for advanced future investigation when I have time and finally get up to speed on everything else more basic in TMG (like maybe in my next life ;) ). I can see the value in this very powerful function.

With the holiday season in full swing and my work still demanding my time (they're funny about that), I had been filing the TMG-L digests for later consumption. Guess I'll have to dig into them.

Phil,

Sorry, No for tabular, you will only be using the sentences. YOu can leave the language feature alone. IF you copy your favorite language, then create the sentences, TMG will look and feel the same even if you do happen to change to TABULAR. I just leave my language on English2 and change to Tabular in the Master Tag Type list when I edit the sentence.

Sorry, No for tabular, you will only be using the sentences. YOu can leave the language feature alone.

Not totally alone. As described in my article on using Special Languages you need to create the custom language first, otherwise you cannot create Sentences in it.

Just open the Languages screen (File > Language > Customize) and click the Add button. Enter the name of your new language - say "Tabular" - and then OK/Close back to the main screen. You don't do anything more with the language feature than just create a language with the desired name.

Having done that, you can now create Sentences for that language, which is the heart of this method, and also set reports to print in that language.

Terry,

I wasn't clear. I copy my current language, and so I meant after you create the language. You can copy a current one, or Add like Terry described. But you won't need to really understand how to change the language part. Just sentences from that point on.