DeeWee

Place terminated by ";"

Hi,

When a place is used in a tag, the sentence in a report is terminated by ".", giving something like "He lived in Brussels." However, sometimes I want to include a memo between brackets, such as : "He lived in Brussels (with his children)." But as soon as I put something in the memofield, I get: "He lived in Brussels; (with his children).", which doesn't look nice. Is there a way to avoid the ";" before the memo text?

Another problem I have concerns the use of a place preposition (in, at, nothing). I can change it in the report options and it works fine, except for one custom-made tag "residentie" (Dutch for residence). Only in that single tag I never get "in" or "at", while all other tags in the report are fine. What could possibly be the reason for this?

Dirk

Dirk,

Regarding the semi-colon, TMG adds that when the sentence does not include [M] and the report options are set to append the memo to the end of the sentence. You can avoid the semi-colon by adding [M] to the sentence. You should probably make the reference to [M] conditional, because many tags won't have a memo. So, for a birth sentence, it would be:

[P] was born

The place preposition problem is probably also a sentence issue. Look at the sentence, and see if there is a space between the "". If so, then the preposition has been disabled by the space between the caret and the bracket.

Preposition will be included:

Preposition will not be included:

Dirk,

Regarding the semi-colon, TMG adds that when the sentence does not include [M] and the report options are set to append the memo to the end of the sentence. You can avoid the semi-colon by adding [M] to the sentence. You should probably make the reference to [M] conditional, because many tags won't have a memo. So, for a birth sentence, it would be:

[P] was born <[D]> <[L]> <[M]>

The place preposition problem is probably also a sentence issue. Look at the sentence, and see if there is a space between the "<" and the "[L]>". If so, then the preposition has been disabled by the space between the caret and the bracket.

Preposition will be included: <[L]>

Preposition will not be included: < [L]>

John,

The sentence I currently have (translated to English) is:

[P] <lived|en [PO] lived> <[D]> [L] || [P] <lives|en [PO] live> <[D]> [L]

so, I don't see any problems with spaces. Furthermore, when I add <[M]> at the end of the sentence, the semi-colon does not disappear. Any further suggestions?

Dirk

Dirk,

The place is unconditional, and in that case it does not print the preposition. So, change

[P] [L] || [P] [L]

to

[P] || [P]

Note the around [L].

Regarding the memo, what I told you is correct, so there must be something else going on. If the sentence is

[P] || [P]

then no semicolon will be added. If you are seeing a semicolon, make sure you are changing the sentence in the right place. If you are changing the default sentence for the tag type, then perhaps there is a local sentence defined for the tag.

Dirk,

The place is unconditional, and in that case it does not print the preposition. So, change

[P] <lived|en [PO] lived> <[D]> [L] || [P] <lives|en [PO] live> <[D]> [L]

to

[P] <lived|en [PO] lived> <[D]> <[L]> || [P] <lives|en [PO] live> <[D]> <[L]>

Note the < and > around [L].

Regarding the memo, what I told you is correct, so there must be something else going on. If the sentence is

[P] <lived|en [PO] lived> <[D]> <[L]> <[M]>|| [P] <lives|en [PO] live> <[D]> <[L]> <[M]>

then no semicolon will be added. If you are seeing a semicolon, make sure you are changing the sentence in the right place. If you are changing the default sentence for the tag type, then perhaps there is a local sentence defined for the tag.

John,

Making the place conditional indeed changed the first problem (again something new I learned)

Regarding the second problem, I only added <[M]> at the end of the sentence and forgot to look at the first part. So this is solved as well. Thanks a lot.

The only remaining thing is that the semi-colon seems to disappear only in the narrative report, but not in the individual detail. Also in the detail window, the memo is still separated by a comma. Is there a solution for this as well?

Dirk

The only remaining thing is that the semi-colon seems to disappear only in the narrative report, but not in the individual detail. Also in the detail window, the memo is still separated by a comma. Is there a solution for this as well?
Dirk,

Those reports/windows don't use sentences, and I don't think you can change the semicolon there. Someone else may know better.