loribragg

Immigration/emigration

I am wondering how others handle places in an immigration tag. There really two locations involved - the to and the from. Which do you put in the place fields? Do you put the other in the memo field? Or possibly use two tags? How about the ship name?

Thanks, Lori

Mine is [:CR:][:TAB:][R:Immigrant] immigrated <to [M2]> <from [M1]> <[D]>< [L]>. <[M3]>

In the location I use the place style shi: "on the <[boat]> leaving the harbor of <[City], ><[County], ><[state], ><[Country], >"

So you would have James Jones immigrated to the United States from Japan 14 Jun 1900 on the Good Ship leaving the harbor of Tokyo, Japan.

Or something more realist. ;)

I use two tags; emigration and immigration, one being the place you left and the other being the place you go to. I have many cases where a family member left Norway to immigrate to the United States. The sources show that person had to declare his intent to EMIGRATE from Norway with the Norwegian authorities, the get on the ship and once in the United States he had to declare his intent to IMMIGRATE to the United States. In most cases this was two different dates and two different events and it was therefore logical for me to use two tags. This way it is also easy to record information related to the process of leaving Norway and record information related to arriving in the United States.

Ken.

I also use both of the two standard tags, but have customized both. I changed the sentences of the standard Immigratn tag to make the Date and the arrival Location non-optional for the immigration so if you don't include it you get the “unknown” phrases. I use the Principal role “Head” for P1, and do not use P2, and the Witness role “immigree” for all others immigrating with the “Head”.

[P]<, listed as [M1],> immigrated to [L] [D]< from [M2]>< along with [R:immigree]>.< [M3]>

The split tag memo [M1] optionally provides the name of the Head as listed in the immigration documentation in case it is different than any Name-Var defined for this person, [M2] optionally specifies the claimed departure location, and [M3] has optional comments. My sentence for the Witness role “immigree” is:

[W]<, listed as [WM1],>< as a [WM2]> led by [P1] immigrated to [L] [D]< from [M2]>.< [WM3]>

The split Witness memo [WM1] optionally provides the listed name of this immigree, [WM2] the listed relationship to the Head (e.g. “son”), and [WM3] has optional comments. The listed departure location from the main split memo [M2] is included in the immigree sentence if it has been entered. If you create ship “pseudo” people in your dataset, you could also add the ship as a witness with custom role of “ship” and an appropriate sentence. I changed the sentences of the standard tag Emigration in a similar manner to require the Date and the Location from which the emigration is taking place, with equivalent “emigrated from”sentences and the Witness role “emigree”,

Hope this gives you ideas.