Guest ProudFossil

Question about BOLD embedded code

Guest ProudFossil

I have a custom tag, 'Caution', with this sentence structure:

[:CR:][bOLD:]CAUTION!!! [M][:BOLD]

When I print a narrative report the word CAUTION!!! is in bold print but the memo is not. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

My general take on this is that it's not a good practice to use formatting codes in sentence structures. They work best in memo fields, the place Detail field and source templates. I'll ask Terry to look at this when he returns from dinner.

Jim is right, the formatting needs to go around the MEMO not in the sentence structure. I wish it worked this way, but it doesn't consistently and can come back to bite you if you use it and the output you want doesn't support it.

Guest ProudFossil

Thank you Jim and Theresa.

I put the BOLD codes around the memo, leaving them in the sentence structure also to catch the CAUTION!!! comment and everything is working just fine.

I have a custom tag, 'Caution', with this sentence structure:

[:CR:][bOLD:]CAUTION!!! [M][:BOLD]

When I print a narrative report the word CAUTION!!! is in bold print but the memo is not. What am I doing wrong?

What you did wrong was to send the report to screen or to the printer, rather than to a word processor file.

The font codes only work for variables when you send the report to a word processor. I've never considered that an issue since I've never sent a report directly to the printer. :)

But, if that's your practice, don't use font codes in the sentence for a variable. Instead, put them in the field as you said you did in your last post.

Guest ProudFossil

Thank you Terry for the reply.

I send the report to the screen in order to proof read it before wasting paper and ink on a page that has any errors. Then I do print it if the report is going to somebody or is to be filed.

I use Second Site for the same purpose, to try to catch errors before I send them out.

Mike.

ps. Teresa, I am sorry for misspelling your name earlier.

Thank you Terry for the reply.

I send the report to the screen in order to proof read it before wasting paper and ink on a page that has any errors. Then I do print it if the report is going to somebody or is to be filed.

You're welcome, Mike.

My point was that sending a report to either screen or printer will result in font codes around variables being ignored. But, if you send the report to a word processor file, those codes will be applied to the text generated by the variable.