LornaHenderson

Gedcom export missing primary birth data

Hi,

I'm trying to work out why some of my birth tags didn't export in the latest gedcom I've uploaded to Rootsweb World Connect.

The people are definitely dead, living set to "N"

The gedcom setting was for selected tags, primary only, of which Birth was a selected tag, and was primary on the couple of instances I'm looking at.

What else should I check?

The only thing I can see is that I've a role set to suppress the sentence when generating narratives, but that wouldn't affect a gedcom output would it??

Edited by LornaHenderson

The only thing I can see is that I've a role set to suppress the sentence when generating narratives, but that wouldn't affect a gedcom output would it??

Help helps.

"A single Exclusion Marker at the beginning of a Sentence field in any tag, or at the beginning of the Memo field in a Note tag, prevents the printing of that tag and the export of that entire tag to GEDCOM if Show excluded data is not checked."

Help helps.

"A single Exclusion Marker at the beginning of a Sentence field in any tag, or at the beginning of the Memo field in a Note tag, prevents the printing of that tag and the export of that entire tag to GEDCOM if Show excluded data is not checked."

Darn (both for not seeing that, and for that being the cause)

Ta Jim

Darn (both for not seeing that, and for that being the cause)

Ta Jim

But not quite the end of my problem.

My interpretation of the exclusion rules is that if I then select my gedcom export to SHOW excluded data, I will still get those tags where the sentence starts with a single hyphen.

(In my defense for not looking at help, it never occurred to me that what I thought of as a sentence based feature would have any impact whatsoever on Gedcom exports)

I've just rerun the export and still didn't get the birth tags concerned. Can anyone replicate this?

I'm wondering if the two slightly different help bits might mean a problem of interpretation here.

Under Exclude Information. Exclusion marker help says

A single Exclusion Marker at the beginning of a Sentence field in any tag, or at the beginning of the Memo field in a Note tag, prevents the printing of that tag and the export of that entire tag to GEDCOM if Show excluded data is not checked.

Under GEDCOM Export help says

Show Excluded Data

...When this export option is selected, the exclusion marker is ignored and the data is exported. A single exclusion marker at the beginning of a Sentence field in a Note tag prevents the entire tag from being exported unless this option is checked.

ie the GEDCOM specific info refers ONLY to NOTE tags (which mine aren't).

I can of course rejig what I was trying to do here, which was to output the primary birth data for gedcoms, but use the baptism data for narratives, but now I would like to know how it should work or why it isn't (for me)

I also find that the "show excluded data" option only causes specific data fields which have been excluded to be included in the export. Contrary to what Help says in both places, it does not cause tags with excluded sentences to be included.

We will need to pass this to the developers to find whether Help is wrong or this is a bug.

My interpretation of the exclusion rules is that if I then select my gedcom export to SHOW excluded data, I will still get those tags where the sentence starts with a single hyphen.

(In my defense for not looking at help, it never occurred to me that what I thought of as a sentence based feature would have any impact whatsoever on Gedcom exports)

That's correct. That's a bug. The tags with an excluded sentence should be exported if you choose 'Show excluded data'.

There is also a bug with exclusion and tags exported as NOTE which should be completely suppressed if the memo is excluded.

And help needs revision regarding exclusion and export.

Ta folks, always nice to know I'm not imagining things.

I'll rejig what I was trying to do as I really prefer World Connect to have birth dates, even if they're estimates, so they show up in searches.

(Incidentally, when Jim replied to the first message, the forum's automated email response I got in my mail box told me there'd been a reply from Terry, which there wasn't, only Jim)