TonyC

Back-up Problem

I have recently been finding that I cannot back up my project.

On requesting a backup, the process starts but then produces the following error message

"OLE Exception Error: Exception code c00000fd. OLE object may be corrupt."

I get options of Cancel, Ignore, and Help.

Help says that there is no topic associated - not very helpful :(

Cancel usually just exits from the program (even though I selected backup from the menu).

Ignore gives me a dialog-box stating

"Input file read failure - This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a ZIP file that is locked or restricted by another process."

The OK button then gives me the following

"Errors occured during backup. Busy can't re-enter now."

The next OK button shuts down the program.

The last operation it was attempting (or had completed) was backing up the filters.

I have tried doing a re-install, but all that happened was that I lost all my personalisations :blink:

Can anyone help with how to fix this problem.

If you are making a backup directly to an external medium, try backing up to a folder on your hard drive and then copy that .sqz file to your external medium.

Do you get the same error if you are backing up only the project files?

Virginia

If you are making a backup directly to an external medium, try backing up to a folder on your hard drive and then copy that .sqz file to your external medium.

Do you get the same error if you are backing up only the project files?

Virginia

Many thanks for your reply, Virginia.

Backup is to the local drive.

Although the folder system is non-standard, I have checked all the path values in the Preferences section.

From your prompt, I've now run backup with just the project files (no exhibits), and it worked OK.

Following on, I tried it with other combinations, and have been able to backup with everything switched on except the eternal images.

I assume the problem lies somewhere here.

I have refreshed all thumbnails (in Exhibit Log) without error. I have also run VFI (with exhibits) without error, Reindexed, and Optimised.

Grateful for any more help you can provide.

Tony

Since you said the problem started recently, I wonder if something in a a recently added exhibit is causing the problem. Have you added any exhibits with unusually long names or paths, or an OLE exhibit for example?

I suggest you email Tech Support directly, using the Message Manager (Help > Message Manager > Outgoing > Send an email). Include a copy of the error message and the fact that it is triggered during the backup of external exhibits.

Let us know what you find out -

Virginia

Since you said the problem started recently, I wonder if something in a a recently added exhibit is causing the problem. Have you added any exhibits with unusually long names or paths, or an OLE exhibit for example?

I suggest you email Tech Support directly, using the Message Manager (Help > Message Manager > Outgoing > Send an email). Include a copy of the error message and the fact that it is triggered during the backup of external exhibits.

Let us know what you find out -

Virginia

Hi again, Virginia

Feedback from Tech Support -

Many thanks to Phil DeSilva - he reckons that the folder sturcture is too complicated for TMG to handle. After trials with moving files to another folder structure we confirmed that the whole lot would back up from another location.

I have now moved my "History" structure from c:\documents and settings\my documents to the root directory and it all woorks OK. It would not have been practical for my to change the remainder of the file structure as I have a large quantity of scripting and html embedded in citations , which use a set folder structure (nightmare to change all that :blink:

Thanks again for the help, hope this info will help others

Best regards,

Tony

Thanks for the update, Tony. If the problem comes up again we'll know what to recommend. I'm glad you got the backup working without too onerous a restructuring of your exhibit folders.

Thanks again -

Virginia

I've been having back-up problems as well.

The backup for my projects were working fine. Then my computer died and was sent away to be fixed. It left as Windows XP and returned as a refurbished computer with Windows Vista. I had to reload all my programs including TMG. Once that was done and I made a few changes to my project, I tried to back up and got the same initial message as mentioned above:

"Input file read failure - This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a ZIP file that is locked or restricted by another process."

I clicked on OK, but received a different message than Tony did.

"Errors occurred during backup. Output file write failure, possible disk full"

Clicking OK ends the operation.

I am backing up to a local drive--it is NOT full, maybe only 25% in use. I am allowing the program to determine the name. It had always worked fine, even with the few (maybe 6) exhibits I added. The only difference for the project was the move to Vista OS.

Have there been any concerns expressed with using Vista and TMG?

Whatever insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I hate the idea that my project is not backed up. I'll be making many changes this weekend in anticipation of our annual reunion on the 19th.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by DebbieV76

I have WinXP and I am getting all the errors mentioned when I try to do a full backup that includes external exhibits.

"OLE Exception Error: Exception code c00000fd. OLE object may be corrupt."
"Errors occurred during backup. Output file write failure, possible disk full"

I don't quite understand what Tony is saying to do for a fix to his problem.

Can you please explain it maybe in steps that I can get this Backup to work again?

thanks!

I am getting most of the same error messages, especially the "Input file read error" when I try to backup my database.

I don't have Vista. I don't have external exhibits.

I'm ready to hear more suggestions ...

Birdie Holsclaw