Kenn Ackles

Global reallignment of place names

I have imported a large date set from Family Tree Maker. When I look at the Master Place List, many of the place names are properly alligned with respect to city, county, state etc. However, there are hundreds more that are misalligned, either 1 or 2 columns to the right. Is there any way of globally moving many files at the same time or must every file be corrected individually?

The places in the Master Place List must be realigned one at a time.This is just one of those post-import cleanup jobs that needs to be undertaken. With an FTM import, you will also have to move data from a place field to the memo field for many 'places'. Click the [Events] button and open and edit each event linked to the 'place'.

Each place on the Master Place list will have to be re-aligned individually. You do that by selecting the right or left most place that needs to be moved, and using Ctrl-left arrow or Ctrl-right arrow respectively to move several columns together. Fixing the place in the master place list fixes it in every tag that uses that place.

You may find my article on Importing helpful.

continuation of fix: I also seem to be finding a lot of hereditary titles and events that end up as places from imports of GEDCOMs. The master place list is still a good place to go for global place fixes. I move them off into the memo field that is sitting there.

Edited by retsof